Confectioner's Glaze Clean Up??

Decorating By CakeDiane Updated 13 May 2015 , 2:35pm by Snowflakebunny23

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 8

I just used confectioners glaze for the first time--I was really surprised when it wouldn't wash off the brush--how the heck do you clean this stuff off?

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:01am
post #2 of 8

You have to buy a bottle of glaze thinner to get it off.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 8

Ohhhhhhh.....thanks!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 8

I use lacquer thinner, but I have never found it in small containers. I just wash my brushes with soap and water after cleaning with the thinner.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 8

Yup, the stuff is NASTY...but wow, does it kick up foliage, ect! I LOVE the stuff. A confectioners thinner will do the trick. Don't get it on your clothes..... they will be done.

Jen icon_smile.gif

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 13 May 2015 , 2:13am
post #6 of 8

I know this is an old thread, but I discovered a helpful tip. Confectioners glaze won't come off my brush with dish soap, but it cleans right up with Dr. Bronner's baby mild soap. I suspect it's because it's more alkaline? Anyway, YMMV, but maybe worth trying. 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 13 May 2015 , 9:28am
post #7 of 8

Sticky icky stuff .... I just soak my brush in detergent water for a few hours, then scrape the brush between my fingernails (ie pinch fingernails either side of brush and pull back).  It takes quite a few goes, but eventually it all comes off and the brush is ready to dry.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 May 2015 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 8

I'm lazy and buy very cheap brushes if i need to use it and just throw them away after.  I did clean my brushes the first time but they never came out quite the same so don't bother any more...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%