Castle Cake That's Entirely Edible?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 19 Jan 2010 , 2:06pm by brincess_b

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:25am
post #1 of 11

I want to make a 3D castle cake that's entirely edible for my friend's daughter's b-day. The tutorials I've come across (e.g. cake boss) all use paper towel roles with ice cream cones for the turrets. Anyone know of a good tutorial? Any advice on making it all edible? Should I use RKT for the turrets?
TIA!

10 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:31am
post #2 of 11

I did come across one on You tube that used gumpaste for the towers. When I made mine though I used mini rollettes for the towers and the turrets were completely fondant (just shaped whimsically and poked my finger in a little way to hollow it a little)
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1430029

You could eat everything (expect Dora) on my castle.

I found the tutorial for a castle that did those whimsical turrets on Youtube. It was last year and our computer has crashed twice since then so I can't be an more specific about the actual tutorial than that I'm sorry. I just went to Youtube and searched how to make turrets and castle cakes.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 11

I'm looking at the same problem... I have my first castle cake in a couple of weeks and they want it completely eatable. In some of Debbie Brown's books she uses cake and covers it in fondant. I was thinking about cutting out the size circles that I want for my turrets, using buttercream as glue and stacking them, crumb coat and freezing until I'm ready to put the fondant on them. Then dowel, and use chocolate as glue to help hold them to the board and the castle.

All input would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks!
Pat

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #4 of 11

I have one in my pics that is entirely edible, I put regular cones wrapped in fondant with sugar cones frosted and coated in sugar crystals for the turrets.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #5 of 11

rice krispy treats covered in fondant might work

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #6 of 11

Ours was entirely edible. Here it is: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1493849

The turrets were RKT. The seashells were molded candy. The pail and shovel are gumpaste. Windows and door are gumpaste.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 11

I've made one entirely edible using cake cones and sugar cones for the towers and turrets. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310416

I "glued" the cake cones together end-to-end and covered them entirely with candy melts. I had to trim the sugar cones down a little so they would fit inside the top of the cake cone. I also covered them with candy melts and immediately rolled them in colored sugar. I anchored the towers to the cake board with royal icing and added some milk chocolate rocks around the bottom.

Hope this helps.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 11

Look at mine Castle done with cookies (in my photos) icon_wink.gif Huge hit at my daughter birthday..

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by verono

Look at mine Castle done with cookies (in my photos) icon_wink.gif Huge hit at my daughter birthday..

Love the cookie idea!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 11

I did the turrets and towers out of gumpaste and to the cake covered in fondant and liked the look. I used the tree formers from wilton and a parchment cover paper towel roll (maybe the heavier roll from the wrapping paper, but either way). Looking for pics now.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Jan 2010 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 11

for my castle, i used mini swiss rolls. secured them togther with some toothpicks (took apart carefully!) and they worked really well.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%