How To Make A Stork Out Of Gumpaste

Decorating By sweetbaker1019 Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 10:54am by brincess_b

sweetbaker1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker1019 Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 2

i saw this picture on this site of a baby shower cake and i just loved the topper on it but im stuck on how to assemble, cut , shape the stork and the blanket . im new to working with gum paste so any info and advice would help!! o and also i use Nickolas lodge recipe for gum paste and love it!

here is the link with the picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1416312.html

1 reply
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 10:54am
post #2 of 2

stork: make a slightly egg shaped ball for the body. taper one end by squashing and shaping to make the neck. round ball for the head - could stick on with edible glue, and/ or use a bit spaghetti/ cocktail stick for extra security.
then cut out shapes (knife, probably just as easy, maybe a rose petal cutter would be a starting point?) for the wings and tails, and again attach with edible glue. and roll out a bit for the beak - although id probably leave attatching it, til you had the blanket sorted! maybe a few spares...

baby: you only really need to worry about the head, just paint/ draw on the details, and add the ears.

blanket: make a ball of gumpaste to act as the body. place in the middle of a square of gumpaste, and gather up the corners. (i imagine you can also just shape a blob of gumpaste to look right, up to you). then do the bow separately, leaving space for the beak to poke through.

i hope that helps, thats just how id do it. if you pm the person that did it, maybe they would get back to you with how they actually did it.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%