Does Anyone Cut Their Own Stencils?

Decorating By DecorateMe Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm by miny

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 18

I am starting a range of children's cakes that will be stenciled on the cake, for those that want a cheaper decorating option. I have the stencil cutter, I have the plastic, but I don't know where to start.

The stenciling will be cute designs like balloons, trains, ballet slippers, etc. Has anyone done this sort of stencilling - buttercream on buttercream?
Do you have pics?

I need to get an idea of how it works so I can get cutting. What sort of pictures work well as stencils?

Thanks for your help!!

17 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 18

I made my own stencil for the damask cake I did in my photos (teal, white and black). It was a pain but it worked and I'm happy I didn't have to spend a fortune on the ones from the cake decorating sites. I air brushed the design onto this particular cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 18

So what did you use for the actual stencil Reenie? I have been wanting to make my own as well.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 18

I went to the craft store and found stencil sheets in the stencil isle. Plain plastic sheets that you simply trace the pattern onto and cut out with an Exacto knife. I gotta tell ya, my fingers hurt from cutting out all the small intricate pieces but the result is well worth it. Plus you have a one of a kind stencil when your done.

dsalazar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsalazar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 18

I have made my own stencils using a woodburning set that I bought at a craft store for pretty cheap. I find a picture that I like -- place it under a piece of glass then tape a piece of clear plastic on top of the glass and trace the picture with the woodburning tool. It works really easy.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 18

I've cut stencils from both plastic/acetate and cardstock [ when I was only wanting to use it once with my airbrush] using an exacto....NO MORE...I got a Silhouette digital cutter [ similar to the Cricut everyone is talking about in another thread] and will NEVER cut one with an exacto again! So not only can I cut the fondant/gumpaste, but now my airbrush stencils are a snap to make!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I've cut stencils from both plastic/acetate and cardstock [ when I was only wanting to use it once with my airbrush] using an exacto....NO MORE...I got a Silhouette digital cutter [ similar to the Cricut everyone is talking about in another thread] and will NEVER cut one with an exacto again! So not only can I cut the fondant/gumpaste, but now my airbrush stencils are a snap to make!

bisbqueenb, the silhouette digital cutter can cut fondant and gumpaste also? I was thinking about getting one.
thanks

DecorateMe Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 18

Thanks for your responses icon_smile.gif

Reenie, your cake is beautiful!

I am not looking into getting a machine right now, so what I'm doing is more like the woodburning kit. I specifically want to know what kind of pictures work well as stencils. I have seen a lot of cakes with patterns stencilled onto them, but not with a picture - anyone done this well?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:05am
post #9 of 18

Here's a link on how to cut your own stencils:
http://painting.about.com/od/stencillingdecorative/ss/stencil_cutting.htm

and this one (has a link for free stencil patterns but I'm to sleepy to go thru them right now to see what's on them)
http://free-stencilingpatterns.com/newhowto_cut.html

thought this one might come in handy as well:
http://www.victorialarsen.com/Supplies/Stencil_mylar_1.htm

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 18

Wow! I'm so glad that I found this thread! You all have such great info! Thanks!!!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #12 of 18

The stencil patterns make excellent fondant/gumpaste cut out patterns for the digital cutters as well. Easy to adapt them on the Silhouette program called Robo.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:27am
post #13 of 18
Quote:

Thanks xstitcher, I downloaded some and they really look good, I hope I can use them soon

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:40am
post #14 of 18

Your welcome tatorchip, let me know how it works out for you.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 6:49am
post #15 of 18

I want to say Thanks, It's really helpful and it has alot of Cool stuff thumbs_up.gif

Margie icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:39am
post #16 of 18

I was thinking in ordering some damask stencils today but after reading this thread I think I'm going to try and make my own but I have a question, if I want to airbrush it in SMBC I know it has to be cold and hard but do you cut the design in a loooong acetate strip to go all the way around the cake? Or make the stencil only a few inches long and airbrush it piece by piece? What do you think will be easier? TIA for any input on this

DecorateMe Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for all your help! I made some stencils tonight using duralar and a soldering iron & it was so easy!
YAY!

miny, I haven't used my stencils yet, but I would imagine since they sell them as a small section that you repeat, rather than a long one that wraps around, that a section is fine. It means you only have to cut the pattern out once.
Good Luck!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks, I'm afraid to try this, specially with SMBC icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%