How To Make Hibiscus Flower Gum Paste Or Fondant.

Baking By flower123 Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 12:13am by kaat

flower123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flower123 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 9

Making a hawaiin cake for a luau.
Need help figuring out the flower part, do you put the die in the dough first or are you painting the white a color?
Does anyone have a pattern.

8 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 9

There is a hibiscus pattern in the patterns and sketches section

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:03am
post #3 of 9

I found this on Youtube....it might help...

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:35am
post #4 of 9

Im making one as well but next month , if I find something I will definately let you know.

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 9

Check out my luau pic. I made the bibiscus using the rose cutter from wilton. I had a standard veiner I used to get the iomprint. I think with hibiscus its best to color your fondant/gumpaste to the color you want or at least close to it. The important thing is make sure the petels overlap. If you need more detailed instructions let me know.

I found the best help for me by looking at the real flower.
good luck

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower123

Making a hawaiin cake for a luau.
Need help figuring out the flower part, do you put the die in the dough first or are you painting the white a color?
Does anyone have a pattern.

little confused by this question, are you using gumpaste or fondant?

do you have any of the wilton/ or anyother brand gumpaste/sugar paste tools?

do you have any of the petal cutters that come in the gumpaste flower kits?

about coloring or dying them, yes I start with a chunk of gumpaste or fondant what ever I am using at the time then use a gel dye and color it, then for a pearl affect or more color detail I use petal dust and luster dust once it has dried.

I just made a hawaiian themed wedding cake its in my pics and I did my one of these flowers, but I used different cutters that are inthe wilton gumpaste flower kit and the gumpaste tools for detail.

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 9

I recently made a Luau cake for my daughter's birthday and was pleased with the way the hibiscus came out. I used a silk hibiscus flower for my pattern. I cut out the individual petals and laid them directly on the silk flower to make sure I ended up with the right shape.

As for the fondant, I colored it and added Tylose before making the petals and then went back with a small brush to paint some of the color inside the flower.

Like others, my cake is in my photos.

Good luck and can't wait to see your creation!

Kim C

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 9

I forgot to add here is a video that I thought was very helpful in making the hibiscus flowers. I didn't have the petal molds that she uses so I just thinned out the petals with a ball tool but did use her suggestion of using a silk hibiscus as a form.

Kim C.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%