18" Half Circle Cake Pan Questions?

Business By Loucinda Updated 31 May 2014 , 5:47pm by cakebaby2

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 10

I asked this in the HOW DO I section, but no one has replied. I thought maybe this would be a better option here.

I have an 18" half circle pan - I have a wedding that needs an 18" base layer. My question is when I bake these halves, after putting the first layer of cake together, when stacking the next 2 halves on there, should I put them opposite the first layer? (so that the "crack" between the layers makes an X instead of all 4 pieces lining up?) It seems to me that would make it more stable.

I don't want to bake that size cake just for practice to see how it works if I don't have to.

TIA

9 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 10

I do that too, seems to be the best way for me to have a stronger cake..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I asked this in the HOW DO I section, but no one has replied. I thought maybe this would be a better option here.

I have an 18" half circle pan - I have a wedding that needs an 18" base layer. My question is when I bake these halves, after putting the first layer of cake together, when stacking the next 2 halves on there, should I put them opposite the first layer? (so that the "crack" between the layers makes an X instead of all 4 pieces lining up?) It seems to me that would make it more stable.

I don't want to bake that size cake just for practice to see how it works if I don't have to.

TIA

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 10

Thats a great idea!! I've just always put a small bit of icing between the two halves so that they don't slide apart.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 10

like an X, yes....and try and make each cake level as possible....no hump in the middle...so they lie flat as possible on each other.....you might want to stablize with straws or dowels.....

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 10

Hi Loucinda,

That's how I put my 18" tiers together, too. The last thing I want/need is for the base layer to start to come apart on the drive to the location! I also put a thin layer of buttercream between the halves to help in holding each together. Make sure you use plenty of supports for the tiers above, too, so they don't create a problem.

HTH,

Odessa

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 10

That's what I did with a large square that I had to piece together from sheet cakes. I staggared all the seams and made all the layers the same height.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate the feedback. So far the biggest bases I have done are 16" rounds and 16" squares. This one will be a new experience for me! I've never (knock on wood) had an issue with stability before with any of my wedding cakes and do NOT want to have any with this one.

cristinacarrington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristinacarrington Posted 31 May 2014 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 10

Quick question... I'm doing a 20" round tier - I've done it in the past, but didn't criss cross them (didn't have any issues) so I'm going to try doing that this next time.  But my question is - the last one was covered in fondant, but this next one really is just a butter cream design.  What are y'alls recommendations, comments, etc.?  I don't mind covering this one in fondant and then doing the buttercream detailing on top of that - it wouldn't be noticeable.  But if I can avoid having to do that, that would be great!  I use a very sturdy crusting buttercream.

Thank you in advance!  

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 31 May 2014 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 10

trying to imagine this technique and its skittering away from me, any info of a demo for this? Tried google but its showing you tube tutorials on stacking cakes?Thanks in advance.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 31 May 2014 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaby2 

trying to imagine this technique and its skittering away from me, any info of a demo for this? Tried google but its showing you tube tutorials on stacking cakes?Thanks in advance.

Hold that thought I've got it...........Doh! Just did it with semi circles  but it seems maybe a bit of cake have to be trimmed in the middle to make a perfect circle?

Having said that my "circles" weren't perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%