Chocolate Cake Recipe For 3-D Cake

Decorating By lawyermomof3 Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm by patticakesnc

lawyermomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lawyermomof3 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 6

For my son's 5th birthday, he would like a chocolate Lego themed cake. I don't think the chocolate cake recipe I normally use for non-themed cakes would be a stong enough cake to be turned into either Lego blocks or a Lego man. Does anyone have suggestions for a sturdy chocolate cake recipe? I have spent time looking and haven't found any suggestions yet - sure it is there, just can't find it. Thanks so much.

5 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

chocolate box mix with a box of pudding, extra egg added is pretty sturdy. i have seen a really cute lego theme cake here recently. it was like the lego people were building the cake and there were lego pieces made out of fondant laying on the cake. the cake itself was square and not carved. have you done a lego search?

lawyermomof3 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did do a Lego search, but it didn't turn up any specific recipes, but I did get lots of good ideas. I think I am going to do the cake you described for my son who is turning 8 in June. For my 5 year old, I think I am going to do just the Lego blocks. He would have loved one of the Lego men sitting up, but the week and weekend don't have enough decorating time for me to do that!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 6

macmoms wasc chocolate recipe. I just did it and it is great.

Chocolate WASC (macsmom's method ) - MacsMom
2 dark chocolate cake mixes
2 c cake flour (gives it a lighter crumb)
2 1/4 c sugar (extra sugar for moistness)
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 t salt (less salt because of the cocoa powder)
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk (extra liquid because chocolate mixes tend to be thick)
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract

*Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees.

lawyermomof3 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much for the recipe. Do you know what size cake pans that will fill? I tried to find the recipe on the sight to answer that, but couldn't find it. Thanks again! Now I need to get started.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 6

I did a 1/2 sheetcake and had a tiny bit left over with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%