Fat Daddio Pans Vs. Wilton

Decorating By kilikina_24 Updated 7 May 2009 , 11:39pm by kilikina_24

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 17

I just thought I'd ask all you more experienced bakers a question. I've heard of the fat daddio pans and I've been looking on fondantsource tryign to get together an order. I need some new pans and was wondering what the majority recommended. I have been using Wilton but am curious if the Fat Daddio pans would be a better way to go? What do you all think? Thanks so much!

16 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 17

most people prefer fat daddio over wilton. but even more people prefer magic line over fat daddio.unfortunatly i havent had a chance to try any!
xx

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 17

I only have Wilton pans. The only exception is that I have two 9X2 round pans by Fat Diddios and I can't tell much difference in how the bake. The Wilton ones are more lightweight, but they seem to bake the same.

If I ever needed to replace all my pans, I'd probably go with Magic Line. The Wilton ones have never failed me though.

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 17

I only have Wilton because that was what was at the store where I had my coupon. They seem to work pretty well for me, but I've also only made 3 cakes...lol.

I would love if someone would explain the differences between the different brands and why one brand is preferred over another. icon_smile.gif

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 17

Where do u get magicline? Global suager art only has fat daddios and wilton.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 17

I will be replacing all my Wilton pans with Fat Daddio ASAP. I know the weight of the pan seems insignificant, but it DOES make a difference. The cake comes out better, it bakes more evenly and has nicer sides. Really, to me, no comparison!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 17

I have replaced all of my square Wilton cake pans with Fat Daddio pans. The guage of the pan is heavier which makes them cook more evenly. The sides are straight up and down which eliminates the "ski jump" look of the Wilton tiers.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 17

I have all Wilton except for 1 FD pan, It's a teeny-tiny 4x4. I couldn't tell much difference, but i only used it once. I can say that i will probably order more FD in the future because of the fact that they have so many varying sizes that i haven't seen anywhere else.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 17

...oh, the FD is a square...My wiltons are round...and 1 sheet pan

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 17

Odd, my cakes in wilton pans bake fairly evenly and have straight sides. Is it just the square or the round ones as well?

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 17

I LOVE FAT DADDIOS!!! I also have Magic Line and Wilton pans. But, I am replacing them with Fat Daddios. My cakes bake more evenly, level and taller. I would highly recommend FD's!!!!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 17

I have all Wilton pans in all different sizes and have no problems with them at all. I guess it's just user preference and budget icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 17

I tossed all of my wilton pans! Way too much trouble to get them to bake right! I have all magic line and FD. I LOVE magic line!! No baking strips, no heating core or flower nails- just straight into the oven and they bake perfectly every time.

FD is nice, I've bought most of their shaped pans, but I wouldnt pick them over Magic Line (ML doesnt make shaped pans icon_sad.gif). I definitely like that ML are made in the USA. Fat Daddio's are made in China, and that's a huge turnoff for me.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 17

I don't have any FD but am a Magic Line convert. Especially for squares - their corners are perfectly straight and my cakes bake up evenly with a lovely crust.

Although I still use some of my Wilton rounds when I need to, I prefer ML by a mile.

kilikina_24 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks everyone! After I posted this I did some more searching and found more info about FD and Magic Line so then I was trying to decide between those too. I have a coupon I could use to get Wilton but it sounds like it's worth the investment to go with Magic Line--especially if they bake up evenly without using the strips or core, etc. Thanks again!!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #16 of 17

Check out Amazon, you can find good deals there on ML sometimes.

kilikina_24 Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 17

Had to get on here and update--I just finished baking my first cake with my square ML pans and OH. MY. GOSH!!!! They are AWESOME!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Perfect cakes! Only bad thing---they were so perfect there was NOTHING to cut off--meaning no yummy scraps for me to enjoy!! icon_cry.gif

But thanks for the input---I am definently a Magic Line convert! I don't think I will buy anything else from here on!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%