Help...how To Stop Fondant Color From Fading

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm by TexasSugar

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 25

I haven't made much with fondant, but what little I've made, the colors always fade. I just recently made a red hat cake with a red and purple hat. I made it the day before the cake was made and when I got up, I had orange and blue hats...then the customer said they faded even more....I did a very nice cake for the county fair in which I won first place....the colored fondant was purple to match the cake plate....in a few days it was blue...I can understand that one because of the time it sat and it was hot.....but is there something you can do to preserve the fontant color. I usually use wilton fondant....although, I've used MMF too with the same result.......thanks

24 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 25

wilton suggests that you use pre colored fodant to color your fodant. OR try using Americolor colors they are much better and really dont made nearly as fast if at all. Its best to keep cakes with color out of the light especially fluorescent lighting.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #3 of 25

Red fades fastest. And since purple has red in it, it will also fade fast.
The only thing you can do is keep it out of direct sunlight.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dogluvr Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 25

Americolor is all I use.....maybe its the light....I can try already colored fondant....maybe that will help too.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 25

I have a similar problem with my colors in buttercream frosting. I also use Americolor. It must be the lights, because when I display my cupcakes in a case with flourescent lights, the next day the color is pretty much gone. Does anyone notice a "dye" taste when you use the Americolors. One of my customers said she did, I used the electric colors.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #6 of 25

Check the lighting around your cakes...the long uv lights will suck the color out of certain colors..The longer the time they spen under the lights, the more the change in color you will have..
Edna icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #7 of 25

Thanks,

That had to be it, your right, each day they get lighter and lighter. I'll have to visit these cupcake stores and see how they display their cupcakes.

dogluvr Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 25

great...thanks so much for all of your replies. The next time I do fondant, I will keep it out of the light as much as possible....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:45am
post #9 of 25

Oh and just make sure to not decorate in the dark. That could potentially be dangerous for your cake and especially for yourself.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #10 of 25

some of my pink stuff that needs to stay out and dry, I put under a 'tent' of foil so that the light couldn't fade it.
it worked pretty well.
good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #11 of 25

i use americolor, wilton, bakerycraft. chefmaster.... they all fade from overhead light.. light coming in from windows,etc.. no matter the name brand. my cake at the fair, had purple fondant and gumpaste... was blue when i picked it up.. i used americolor regal purple.. so just keep it out of the lights and the outside light..hth

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #12 of 25

I invested in some Chefmaster no fade pink, purple, and red.

It may be my imagination, but I do think that they hold color better in direct light.

I do compensate with the pink & red by making things a bit darker than I really want the end result to be. That trick doesn't work well with purple because it just fades to a shade of blue.

Rae

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 25

How long have I actually got until they start to fade and change colour?

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:39am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

If you don't use the no-fade colors, it can be a matter of minutes to overnight.

Rae

Sweet_Toof Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

If you don't use the no-fade colors, it can be a matter of minutes to overnight.

Rae

And so if I buy the no-fade colouring, will I be quite alright for a few days before that would fade?

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #16 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rae

And so if I buy the no-fade colouring, will I be quite alright for a few days before that would fade?

That's been my experience. I've never seen obvious fade using them--certainly not the extreme fade of pink to white or purple to grey.

Rae

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:02am
post #17 of 25

Add 1 tsp baking soda to a pound of fondant. I definately helps to maintain purple and pink. I have had gumpaste flowers sitting out in the light for months and they are fading very slowly. Barely any colour change.

Sweet_Toof Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:26am
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Add 1 tsp baking soda to a pound of fondant. I definately helps to maintain purple and pink. I have had gumpaste flowers sitting out in the light for months and they are fading very slowly. Barely any colour change.

Should I do this AS WELL as the non-fade colouring or just instead, if I were using normal colouring?

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #19 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Should I do this AS WELL as the non-fade colouring or just instead, if I were using normal colouring?

I've never done it because I do use the no fade purple & pink, but heck, I'd say can't hurt, might help.

Rae

Mom_of_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_of_one Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #20 of 25

Can you tell me a brand name for the no-fade colors? This is the first I've heard of them. Thanks.

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

Can you tell me a brand name for the no-fade colors? This is the first I've heard of them. Thanks.

ChefMaster No-Fade Pink and No-Fade Purple

I see them available on Ebay right now.

HTH
Rae

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 1:52am
post #22 of 25

I add the baking soda to regular paste or gel colours. Not the no fade ones.

Sweet_Toof Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:07am
post #23 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_of_one

ChefMaster No-Fade Pink and No-Fade Purple

I see them available on Ebay right now.

HTH
Rae

Hi Rae
Would you recommend ChefMaster or Americolor?

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #24 of 25

Only ChefMaster makes no-fade colors. Americolor pinks & purples fade.

Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 3:32pm
post #25 of 25

Crystal Colors powder colors, their purple doesn't fade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%