Sad Anniversary Cake... Help!! {Stillborn Baby :'( }

Decorating By soygurl Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 6:01am by kimmypooh79

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #1 of 21

My co-worker/friend had a baby who was stillborn nearly a year ago, and she is having a party to honor and celebrate her baby girl. She wants a really special cake but I have NO ideas... Obviously it needs to be appropriate for the occasion, but she doesn't want it to be "plain or boring" (i.e. sheet cake with flowers, etc.) either! We've talked about doing a cake in the shape of a cross, but she didn't seem too thrilled at the idea... I don't know what to do! I've made quite a few cakes for her... carved, hand drawn pictures, you name it... I want this one to be really special! icon_cry.gif

20 replies
Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #2 of 21

How about an angel theme? Hugs to her.

Sue

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 21

Pink roses and angel wings, maybe?

Does she have something special she associates with her daughter? A particular flower or animal or something like that? I have a friend whose baby only lived three days and now when she sees a frog she says it's a sign that her son is thinking of her. If your friend has something special like that, some symbol of her daughter, you could incorporate that into the design of the cake.

soygurl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:50am
post #4 of 21

I don't think she has any particular "thing" associated with her daughter... Any specific ideas how to do an angel theme? I don't know why but my brain seems to shut off every time I think about this cake! icon_redface.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 21

its very sad, but i can understand her wanting to remember and celebrate her little girl. so how about a little 3d bear holding a beautiful baby blanket on a sheet cake, depending how many servings of course.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 21

You could make a set of angel wings out of gumpaste or fondant and lay them over something to dry so they are sort of going to be 3D - then paint them with Super pearl /Luster dust. Then in the middle of them, place them tip to tip like they are touching and where they join do a bunch of gumpaste roses or flowers and/or a pretty gumpaste/fondant bow,again painted with some luster dust so it all looks "heavenly" - (not sure if the baby was a girl or boy but do the bow in whichever color is appropriate. Then maybe make the cake underneath look like a cloud or have the wings sitting in buttercream that looks like clouds?

Just a thought - I can picture it in my head very clearly, just don't know if I was able to make any sense when I wrote it down!

Brandie

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 21

Hi there.

I also lost a daughter who was stillborn... here are a couple of cakes that I have done for a small memorial service we had a couple of years with others who had also lost babies...

The first cakes I did when I was just starting out in decorating...they're buttercream transfers.... if I were to do them again I would do the girl angel as a edible image plaque standing on top of the cake with other fondant feminine decorations....stars, hearts, flowers, etc..maybe some stars or hearts on wire.

the second cake with the wings you could make more pinkish for her...

I have the girl angel image and the wings template saved on my puter... if you need them feel free to PM me.

Many well wishes to this family, it is such a wonderful thing that she is doing for her daughter's anniversary!

HTH!
LL
LL

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 21

Maybe a cake using the book pan with a saying or prayer on it

Molly2

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #9 of 21

Or you could put the wings on the 3-d bear that you can make pink.

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobam

I also lost a daughter who was stillborn...

Scoobam I am sorry for your loss...Your saying on the second cake just brought tears to my eyes. I think that is wonderful to have a memorial!

God Bless You.

Jeanene

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 21

If you look in my photos I did a sheet for a bday and there is any angel in the corner I made with fondant. I put clouds under the angel and made small stars with wire sticking out. I put the name on a little banner on the bottom with the little girls name. I am not sure the whole story but I believe these 2 little girls where twins and the one passed away (the angel) I made the angel body like a triangle and then cut out the wings using a heart cookie cutter. I think it turned out very nice, and they loved it. Good luck in whatever you choose, but after reading your post I thought of that cake.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 21

I agree, an angel theme would be nice. You could also put lots of hearts on it, too. I'm sure whatever you decide to do it will be nice because it came from your heart.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 21

I am making a first birthday cake for a set of twins which one passed away shortly after birth. I am putting their picture on the cake together and then I'm also making a fake smash cake for the mother to keep in her curio for memories of the baby. That one is just going to have the baby's picture on it that I will laminate.

I love all the great ideas.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 21

I know she said she didn't want a plain sheet cake with flowers but I found a cake with flowers by angelcakes5 that I think is very pretty!! And maybe you could add a cross to it or an angel like others have said.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1227995.html

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 21

Ok, sorry but I found this cake also. I really like the cross. Probably not the sheep so much for your cake lol but I thought maybe the cross on the sides of the cake or on the cake with an angel or something. Hope this helps some.

JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #16 of 21

I think the teddy bear holding a blanket sounds nice.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #17 of 21

I like the angel idea, but what about having the baby as the gardian angel over the family. Keeping them safe. Sort of serving a higher power. I hope that sounds ok.

My husband just suggested gods hands and a very small baby in them.
Now i know why i married him> icon_lol.gif He helps all the time.

eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 21

I used this pic on a cake for the same reason once. Thought it was really fitting.
LL

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 21

. . . a baby angel sleeping on the moon . . . fluffy pillows . . .

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/cajunladydml/AngelBaby.jpg

soygurl Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:00am
post #20 of 21

Wow! Thank you all so much for all the great ideas! I have a couple great ideas now, so I'm gonna talk to my friend and see which one she likes best.
CC comes through again! thumbs_up.gif

<3

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:01am
post #21 of 21

I like the angel cake idea and I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet but what about a sleeping baby in the hands of God? My nephew, Zachary, was stillborn in 2000. Of all days he died on Mother's Day. So i can sympathize to an extent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%