Questions, Help Needed - Blown Sugar And Isomalt

Sugar Work By alek0 Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 6:03am by alek0

alek0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alek0 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:16am
post #1 of 9

I would appreciate if someone can help.

I have worked with pulled sugar with no problem, but when I attempt blown sugar, just cant do it, the bubbles are uneven, some parts very thin, others are thick. Should I switch to metal tube for sugar pump, I am currently using a wooden one? Or is there any other possible problem?

Concerning isomalt, I haven't tried it yet but would like to try since I can forget about any sigar work in the summer here (over 90% humidity). The question I have is about cleaning up the mess. With sugar it is easy, I just pour vinegar into the pot and let it stand overnight and just rinse next day. Would this work with isomalt as well? I really hate washing up sticky messes, and wasn't working with sugar much until I discovered the trick that water-vinegar mix dissolves it completely.

8 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 9

Wooden or metal tubing is not your problem. The thick and thin spots are caused by the sugar cooling to fast or not enough. Try slower pumps and use a heat lamp. It takes practice but you can do it. As far as isomalt its more forgiving than regular sugar but a lot harder to blow....clean up is the same you could use vinegar the same way....

alek0 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:23am
post #3 of 9

Thank you! I'll try to blow it more slowly and under heat lamp, and see what happens.

The important thing is that I can clean up isomalt the same way, yay, then I am not afraid to try. The humidity here has been over 90% this weekend, wouldn't have a chance to get anything done with sugar in this weather. So it is either switch to isomalt or wait till december to try icon_sad.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #4 of 9

I work with Isomalt about 99% of the time. I blow bubbles and pull it without any real issues. I just soak with water over night.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 9

Where do you get Isomalt? I would love to try it but I can only find it in 15 lb. tubs. Also, do any of you have a recipe or know of a good tutorial if I just try the sugar way? What I want to do it make a mold of some plastic gems and then use isomalt to make the gems. I found cake jewels, but they are expensive and I already have the stuff to make the molds, so I would love to try! It would be great for on the royal icing tiaras, if I can make it happen, don't you think?
Thanks,
Jen

alek0 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 9

I order isomalt online, from Squires Shop (UK store).

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 9

My friend is an Albert Uster Rep. I get mine from her. The have it at www.sweetc.com

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 9

alek0,

Ditch the wooden tubing. Use a metal pipette and pump.
There is a tutorial on making your own on my site.
www.kincaellan.com go thru the classes page.

The bubbles will always expand towards the warmest part of the sugar, if you have a thin area then cool it down and blow again so the warmer and thicker area's expand to create an even walled sphere.

Isomalt is easier to use then cooking out sugar and while it is more resistant to the humidity anything above 45% will effect the isomalt negatively as well.

You need to shellac or seal your pieces from the air with a bit of flower drying powder or blue silica gel in the display case.

Any other questions feel free to contact me through cake central private messages or via my site for faster responses.

Hope that helps,
www.kincaellan.com

alek0 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:03am
post #9 of 9

Thank you very much!

I am afraid though that I'll have to wait quite a bit before I can try it. Humidity is 100% today, argh! I hate Hong Kong climate, during the summer lots of time I can only work with chocolate because it is too humid for anything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%