Duff's French Buttercream

Decorating By fat-sissy Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm by CasperCakeCreations

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 6 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #151 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnajf

Try 's recipe- it's perfect!! icon_biggrin.gif

Which book of Toba Garrett's and which recipe? I'm still a little nervous about using egg whites even though it's pasturized. I don't have enough room for refrig. and it sits out for one day after decorating so that it can settle better. I guess I'll eventually try this recipe since every one is raving about it? Thanks for all the info. icon_biggrin.gif

Save!!

Vicky

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 12 May 2007 , 10:23pm
post #152 of 169

It took me an hour to make this recipe and I wasn't crazy about the taste. I'll mix it with my other buttercream until it's gone. Don't think I'll remake it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:58am
post #153 of 169

Has anyone made a chocolate version of this recipe?

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 13 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #154 of 169

200 posts!?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:34am
post #155 of 169

In answer to my own question (LOL), you can make this chocolate by adding 12 ounces of melted semi-sweet chocolate.

Gotta tell ya, though, I'm not a fan of this icing so far. I didn't like it before the addition of the chocolate and I don't much care for it after the chocolate was added, either. I don't know if it's the uncooked pasteurized egg whites, the lack of a simple syrup, or just the particular brand of butter I used, but this pales in comparison to IMBC. Maybe it will be better tomorrow after it's had time to mellow overnight on the cake.

~ Sherri

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:37pm
post #156 of 169

I didn't like it either. It tasted like I was eating a tub of butter, and I didn't even use as much butter as it called for. icon_sad.gif

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:29pm
post #157 of 169

You're right. Other than tasting like butter, it didn't have a taste. It was light and all, but not sweet. There is no way I could serve that to my family. They would look at me like I was crazy. My husband actually did. HA

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:45pm
post #158 of 169

My husband thought it would taste good on bread.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 18 May 2007 , 5:02pm
post #159 of 169

I just posted a duff doctored recipe. It isn't so buttery and still light. check it out.

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 18 May 2007 , 10:06pm
post #160 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibugs

I just posted a duff doctored recipe. It isn't so buttery and still light. check it out.

alibugs--I can't find it anywhere. icon_cry.gif

After reading through most of these posts, I bought all the ingredients then realized I might not like it. That would be an expensive experiment. But I might try the doctored version. thumbs_up.gif

alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:30am
post #161 of 169

Under recipe type in duff in the search.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 19 May 2007 , 7:11am
post #162 of 169

I tried typing in "duff" and got only the original one duff makes-( Was looking for yours alibugs=) Jen

alibugs Posted 19 May 2007 , 10:12pm
post #163 of 169

it takes a while to get to the recipe section.
Here it is. I copied it for you.

Serves/Yields: 1 batch
Prep. Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 0
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: Easy

My family doesn't like the buttery taste of the regular Duff icing. They say it is kinda like eating a stick of butter. I just switched the ingredients around a little to cut that taste. Hope you like it. My daughter said it reminded her of whipped cream. It isn't a crusting icing. The directions were already on here I just copy and pasted.

5 egg whites (I get mine pasturized)
1 1/4 c sugar
1 c butter (2 sticks)
1/4 c shortening (I used hi-ratio cause crisco sucks)
2t flavoring
pinch of salt (optional)

*Cook's Note: Make sure to have a completely clean and dry mixing bowl when you start your process. Any fat or liquid at all in the bowl will stunt the protein development of the albumen (egg white protein) and you will not have a proper meringue at the end. The results could be disastrous.
Start whipping egg whites slowly in the mixer until foamy. Increase the speed of the mixer and slowly start adding the sugar until all the sugar is incorporated. Once all the sugar is in, increase the speed of the mixer even more and whip until the mixture is shiny and stiff. You now have a meringue. You know when your meringue is done when you pull out the whip, hold it horizontally, and if you have what looks a "sparrow's beak" on the end of the whip.

Replace the whip, turn the mixer on medium and start adding the butter a bit at a time. Once all the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer on high and let mix; depending on the weather, the buttercream could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to form. You will know when it has formed when you hear the motor of the mixer start to slow down and whine a little bit; also, when you first add the butter, your meringue will break down and look weird and this is what you want. When the buttercream is done, the mixture will be homogeneous, consistent, and tasty. Add flavoring and salt. Combine

Remove the buttercream from the bowl and transfer to an airtight container. Buttercream can be kept at room temperature for a few days or in the refrigerator for a 1 to 2 weeks, but always use warm buttercream when icing a cake.
Source: duff and me

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 20 May 2007 , 2:11am
post #164 of 169

Ohh thank you so much alibugs! Jen

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:17am
post #165 of 169

okay dont know if this has been answered, but it hink the brand that is pasteurized is egglands best.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #166 of 169

Does anybody use this as their tried and true recipe for their cakes here on CC?

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #167 of 169

This may have already been answered, no time to read the whole post. How does this do in hot weather? With all of that butter will it start melting?

TIA
Kat

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #168 of 169

Alibugs, do you add the hi-ratio along with the butter or after it? and when do you add the flavoring and salt? icon_confused.gif sorry, I may look stupid but its the first time I'm going to make this BC icon_redface.gif and I don't want to mess it. Thank you for posting this, you are a doll!!! thumbs_up.gif

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #169 of 169

I have tried to decorated with SMBC, but have not been successful. Then consistency is too soft and will not hold it's shape. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%