I built a base and covered it with aluminum foil. I used a 15x11 inch cake pan and 2-2/3 cake mixes. Once completely cooled, I cut it apart, built and carved the fire engine and used large candy sticks for support and crusting buttercream (Viva method) to hold it all together. I used mini M&Ms, black licorice, DOTS and little paper flags for details; tires are doughnuts covered in black frosting. About 5 days prior I used Royal icing to make the ladders, grill, wheels, steps and other detail. These were painted with vodka and silver dust once applied. Thick craft foam or poster board covered in foil were also used for detailing in the front and rear of the engine.