Posts by Nicole211

I have a small cakery that I work as my "parttime job", but my "day job" is as a Front Office Supervisor for a large doctors office- I have 24 employees spread out across 9 offices. My LEAST favorite part of my job is staff issues. I too, am in my 40's and canNOT understand the work ethic of the younger generation. There is nothing worse than staff who won't listen, but I have found over the years, that I (and others) would rather work short (even if longer hours), than...
Has anyone covered a Tres Leches cake in BC and MMF? Does it work ok, or does the moisture/liquid mess with the MMF?
I'm doing a birthday cake for a 3yo girl next week. Mom wants butterflies both on the cake and"floating" above/around it. The pic she sent me has some really cool ones on it- its very obvious the designer didn't use standard cutters-they are pretty intricate! ...any suggestions on how to do them?? TIA!![/code]
Thanks for all of the help and advice. I think I left out a piece of information- I was asked to do the "Mercedes", but what I'm doing is a more generic car- I was just wondering what people were charging for more realistic cars, as opposed to "cartoon-ish" or "kids" cars.@kitagrl- I know, I love Mike- I've taken some classes from Mike and just love him!! As for my skill level- I haven't actually posted pics on here in AGES- so even if you did "study" my photos, it would...
I'm just polling everyone on what they would charge for a sculpted cake? I've been asked to do a 3D, Mercedes SL Convertable car for roughly 24 servings. What would you charge for this cake? (not what you "think" should be charged, but what you WOULD charge) I know prices vary based on area, but I'm just looking for a range. Thanks for your help!
Do any of you use the Tres Leches cake in tiered cakes (wedding??)? And have any of you ever frozen it (and thawed) before decorating? Any help/advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Thanks for all the recipe links- I think I need to go make some frosting!!
The last time I made it, I actually made sure it was "lump free" even before heating then stirred it with a whisk the whole time it was cooking. The problem isn't "lumps"- it's little tiny pieces of solid- and not a LOT- but enough to notice. They are just little flecks- almost like when people have trouble with the egg white in lemon curd?cakedout- yes, this definitely separates me from the "others"- and I almost can't go back to regular buttercream What did you use...
I "heard" about this Buttercream recipe made from a cooked flour and milk base- and that it was AMAZING- so I went in search of! I was originally told it was a "French Buttercream"- but when I searched for that, it was NOT a flour/milk recipe. But I DID find the recipe- and whipped it up! It IS amazing- soooo smooth and silky, not overly sweet, but not "overly" buttery, like the MBC's. My question is... has anyone out there tried this recipe (see below)? If so, how do...
I use Rich's Bettercream (pre-made) as icing, but will only use PastryPride for filling (mixed with various fruits, flavorings). I've never used Frosting Pride. I know the PP has instructions on the side of the carton- I think FP does too?