Posts by christyA

I use the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site and it's really yummy. I get lots of cake orders based on that frosting alone! It contains both shortening and butter.Not sure about the food coloring question - I only notice a taste difference on the darker colors.HTH
Karen - thanks for letting me know. Glad it worked out for you!Goldberry - This really isn't a tear. I've had those and I'd recover the cake if I got those. These are hard to explain. Like tiny air pockets the size of a pinhead or smaller. I can't see the cake through it so it's just going partially through the fondant.
I'll be interested to hear whether it happens to you again. I don't have another cake due until the 25th so I'll see what happens on my end on Monday. Fortunately there are lots of stripes on the cake I'm doing so I can at least attempt to cover the holes.
Sorry, I didn't get notified of a response and didn't see your post until now.Our house is usually 74 and I have an oscillating fan blowing most of the time. But I notice it on mine as soon as I put it on the cake. I want to say it's too dry but I just can't get the nice elasticity that I get with Satin Ice. If only I could get it in larger buckets. My local supply shop only carries SI in 2# buckets and it costs $9/pound. I'm not charging enough for my cakes to support...
When I use the white Fondx that has been colored with gel color to cover a cake, I get pinholes along the edge of the cake. Sometimes it tears, most times not. I thought it was because I needed it to be more pliable like I find the Satin Ice to be. I've added more shortening to the Fondx and even heated it in the microwave for a few seconds like Duff's fondant suggests. Even with that it still gets the pinholes. I've tried shortening, pwd sugar, heat, rolling it...
I have a client who wants a topsy-turvy cake for next weekend but doesn't like the texture/flavor of fondant (doesn't like how it gets hard). I was wondering if I could use modeling chocolate to cover the cake to get the same look as fondant. Any ideas?
Trudi - Thanks for the compliment! I thought the flowers turned out pretty well, all things considered. I'll change the settings on my photo. This new photo gallery still needs some tweaking.The cake was 6" square, 10" round, 12" round, and 14" square. I used Wilton pans for the round cakes and they didn't come out exactly 10" and 12" inch. I trimmed down the 12" cake round to fit the cake but I didn't do that on the 10" and just added more frosting to make it fit...
Trudi - just wanted to say that I posted a photo this evening. It went pretty well, all things considered. I did use the fondant-covered styrofoam and that helped immensely! I just a combination of straws and laying the flowers on the cake. The tiers didn't have as much room for the flowers to lay on the cake so I ended up doing more tiers of smaller clusters. I think it worked considering it was my first wedding cake and my first time working with gumpaste flowers. ...
A straw to hold the wires!! Why didn't I think of that!? And a styrofoam ball for the topper is a great idea too! The flowers all have wires on them. But I'm more familiar with "gluing" them directly to the cake. The only flower I worry about regarding weight is the ranunculus, and I think I can use the straw idea for those and then just cut off the wires on the lilies and filler and add them around it.Thanks so much Trudi!
Thanks Trudi! I was thinking for the top I'd just do the mound of frosting (but fondant sounds like a better idea!) or a smaller cake to poke the flowers into to make a mound of flowers. For the sides and base, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I hate to put a lot of holes into the cake but the cake that they wanted me to recreate has some flowers on the sides of a tier which I think would require a wire in the cake. I've attached a photo of the cake they want me to...