Posts by Kelrak

just for my family to eat, I've frozen leftovers after frosting and they taste great. Buttercream Frosting freezes well. In my crowded freezer they are likely to get squished so I wouldn't want to freeze them after decorating if I were actually serving them at a party.
I am pretty sure I didn't refrigerate them, and they weren't fondant covered for very long. Maybe 4 or 5 hours? I might have put them in a tupperware type container. I am pretty sure my fondant didn't look that wet or oily before I put it on the cupcake. I know it was too thin, after looking at others' photos. I think it was also the icing. The C&H Basic Buttercreme recipe on the box is a little different than most icings for decorating. It only has 1/3 c butter to 1...
Yeah, I thought about that. I've done a little chocolate on cakes before. I'm not a fan of the taste of the candy melts, but my son likes them so they may end up on his cake. He has big ideas about me trying to do Super Mario Galaxy. Yikes!
Thanks again for the great tips. These are very helpful.Presidential portrait in cupcakes....http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/11/photo-of-the-day-president-barack-obama-in-12.htmlThis was the first picture I ever saw of the fondant disks on cupcakes and I was curious how it was done. Now I see them in lots of posts here and on cupcake wars. Now I think I will try some for my own birthday cupcakes.
Thanks, everyone. Those are beautiful, Dayti. That's kind of what I have in mind. I've seen flat disks of fondant on top, and soft fondant covering the whole top. I like both looks, but wanted to try the flat disk decoration.I don't know if my local michaels has CMC or Tylose. I'll have to try the several days in advance method I think. the cupcake picture from last year is in my photos--it's the pink one with a pink candle.I think I did use crisco when I was rolling...
Well, it's summer and my family has several birthdays coming up, so I always start browsing Cake Central for ideas. The only time of the year I get to bake a lot!I like that look of a fondant circle on top of an iced cupcake. It looks like a disk on top. I tried to do it last summer but it looked greasy and not pretty at all. How thick should the marshmallow fondant be when I roll it?How long to let it sit before putting it on the cupcake?And I guess I needed a...
here it is....
Thanks again for your collective advice and experience. My panda turned out cute, in my opinion. However, my daughter didn't really want it on the cake after she saw it, and we took the cake in a different direction. She's so indecisive. I'll post my panda picture later. I'm really glad I attempted to make a figure, and would definitely do it again!
xstitcher, does this work in the galleries too? I was searching like this:'"painted fondant" not royal icing' in the gumpaste/fondant gallery but I got lots of results with the words 'royal icing' in the title for the picture. But I did get many pictures of painted fondant too.Thanks for your help.
So, I guess I need to attach the arms and legs to the panda, THEN frost and cover with fondant, right? I made the parts separately and started wondering if I put it together first.