Posts by patriciav

Thanks bubblezmom!
Hi, does anyone know the difference between using milk vs. buttermilk in cake recipes and if they can be interchanged as substitutes? Thanks!
Hi, does anyone know the difference between using milk vs. buttermilk in cake recipes and if they can be interchanged as substitutes? Thanks!
Daniela, if you're going to buy the dough: GO WITH PUFF PASTRY (like from Tenderflake) and NOT PHYLLO DOUGH. I did this once not knowing the difference and when I added my filling, the layers became soggy after a few hours. Puff pastry will definitely hold the filling better. Plus, I definitely recommend using a french custard filling (half custard or pastry cream and half whipping cream) like lou suggested. I like using strawberries only, but I've had some from the...
Hi, I wanted to try making a cowboy hat cake for my son's 1st birthday but I not sure where to start. I've seen some really nice ones here in the cowboy/western theme gallery but I'm not sure which pans to use or how they get the rim of the hat to stay up and curved. I imagine they used fondant, but how long does it take to harden? If any of you folks can help me out with this one, I would be much obliged.(practising my cowgirl talk)
Yes I have made mousse from instant pudding before and it works great as a filling. Not sure about it as an icing though cause the mousse is really fluffy and soft and may not cater to certain decorating tecniques. Also, if your using chocolate or another flavour other then vanilla, your limited to that colour and may not be able to get into colouring/tinting your icing-and I can't even say if vanilla would accept tints nicely. But then again that might just be what...
I think ganche would work. Although it contains whipping cream, it is in the way it's prepared that prevents spoilage. You can use ganache as a glaze if you let it stand for about 1/2 hour to get more of a "running" consistency for pouring over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides, but this is usually done on an iced cake. In this case let it stand for about 3 to 4 hours to achieve a soft spreading consistency. Hope this helps!
I'm going to try MMF (marshmallow fondant) next, and was just wondering if this type of fondant can also be left out of the fridge or if it is different? Thanks!
Some information I have gathered from another forum says that cooked pudding DOES need to be refridgerated. As to suggestions regarding fillings that don't require refrideration, other then jams/jellies and buttercream, how about a pie filling or curd. I don't know if you still consider that a jelly or not but I have used a pie filling before and it worked well, actually I did a layer of raspberry pie filling and layer of buttercream combo on a vanilla sponge cake and...
Thanks for all your suggestions. You guys are great!