Posts by ken

thanks you all! I told them my final price of $150, and they chose to not get the cake they originally wanted. Instead, they want me to come up with an idea for a cake that has both minnie and mickey for $80. I can tell you one thing, they are starting to become a pain! I'm flattered that they want me to be the one to make their cake, but you all are right about something: I can't sell myself short!
I have a customer who just asked me to make a cake this saturday for a 1 yr old party. They want a 3 tier cake for about 25 people. The cake is to be designed as 1/2 Mickey Mouse 1/2 Minnie Mouse with the hat on top as the 3rd tier. I told them $150. And now they are having a heart attack over it because they don't want it to be a big cake. What should I do? Reduce my price or let them decide or not if they want to take my $150 price?!
My boss asked me today if I would give his wife cake decorating lessons. And I am very interested in picking up some extra cash! My question is how much would you all charge per session for me to teach her basic cake decorating techniques???
Thanks so much! I knew the gang here would help a sista out!!! I can't remember who it was but they mentioned that I haven't done any stacked cakes. Well constructing it and doing it isn't the problem. I've done quite a few while working at a GROCERY STORE BAKERY (HINT - WHY THEY AREN'T POSTED ON HERE). So I'm not worried about doing a stacked cake at all. But I appreciate all of your responses.
BUMP!!!!!!!! PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!
BUMP!!!!!!!! PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!
OK....My older sister is getting married and I am her Matron of Honor. (YAY!) But I am also making the wedding cakes (hers and groom's cake). I'm trying to figure out how to fit in time to make the cakes as fresh as possible with everything that will be going on like getting my hair done, wedding rehearsals, etc. Another issue I am having is the wedding cake filling flavors. My LOVING sister has given me FULL POWER on what cake flavors to have. Of course she told me what...
I just got licensed to work from home here in North Carolina and now I'm having the hardest time trying to put my name out there so that I can start my business. I have NO CLUE where to start as far as promoting my business. How are some of the ways you all put your name out there to start getting customers. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where do you all get your boxes for stacked cakes? I have no idea where to get them from? Thanks!!!!!
Hello,Well...a secret that I do is that as soon as I put the cake on the cooling rack, I cover it with saran wrap for about 10-15 minutes. You can feel the corners and edges get soft, so as soon as they're soft, take the saran wrap off and let the cake cool as normal. the saran wrap helps keep some of the moisture in and make the corners and edges soft. I had problems with my edges getting hard so when I tried this, it COMPLETELY STOPPED. hope this helps!