Posts by itsacake

I wanted a Deluxe Oven for many years.  When I built a commercial kitchen I chose these and have had two for the last four years. (I have a kosher bakery and need one oven for items containing dairy and one for items that do not)  I have to say my home ovens cook much better than these do.  I have the 3 -shelf ovens.  Don't have the model number handy.   When I first got the ovens they would not hold a temperature, running way above what they were set for.  Deluxe sent...
I find I need to bake at the same temperature I would in my home oven when I bake in my commercial kitchen with my Deluxe ovens.  My home ovens are actually more consistent than my Deluxe ovens at work.   I find that you really do need to preheat the Deluxe ovens for quite a while to be sure the oven doesn't overshoot the temperature that you set.  It is a good idea to keep at least one thermometer in the oven to be sure that what you set and what you get are the same....
I think the problem with that cake is that the crumb is just too fine..  Even when the cake is  oozing moisture from a wash, the texture is almost sandy and  therefore the tongue perceives it as dry.  I finally gave up on it.  Flo Braker has some nice, really moist, yellow cakes in her books.  I just used her Signature yellow cake yesterday and took some uniced samples to an appointment.  They were gone in less than five minutes to rave reviews.  
Though the health department and  other licensing folk people call it a bakery, I like to say I own a "cake and pastry studio."  One of my colleagues took that and called her business "The Dessert Studio"
While I think there is always room for improvement, and one should always keep working on one's skills, when I took a class from Earlene Moore, she continually stressed that when you sell a cake to "Jane Q. Public" it doesn't have to be totally perfect because, unlike those of us who decorate, the general public does not see every little detail of a cake, they see the cake as a whole.   From my experience, this is pretty much true.  We are way harder on ourselves than...
debbycakes75:   You said your "normal" cakes are 5.5 inches tall and you figure slices at 2 x 11/2 and your "sheet" cakes are 3.5 inches tall and you figure slices at 2 x 2.  These are much larger than industry standard slices, and your prices are low.   If you charge $40.00 for a 9 x 13 sheet cake and $70.00 for a 12 x 18 you are getting  $1.67 per serving for the smaller cake and $1.30 for a larger cake for a larger than normal serving of cake.  (I figured 24 servings...
I just did a very intricately decorated  " full sheet" cake this weekend.  It was four one-inch tall 12 x 18 cakes.  I placed two of them next to each other, then filled and stacked the other two on top.  They were baked in Magic Line pans. The finished cake was covered in fondant and was just over 2 inches tall. I said it was 108 servings but priced as though it were 100.   I price by number of servings and complexity of design.  Most tiered cakes start at...
Sure, Jason.  It may not be legally necessary to have minutes or anything else, but if you make the requirements so minimal that it doesn't look like a corporation, then it doesn't look like a corporation-- QED.   I don't think we are really in disagreement and I don't have any more time to devote to this thread so I'll just say Happy New Year and go do something more profitable like bake a cake....
Jason,  You and I have engaged in similar discussion before.   If you are an LLC, following the rules includes things like having to have board meetings, for example.  If it is just one person, you can have them in your head, or whatever, but you need to write up minutes for the relevant items discussed.  If there is just one of you there is nothing much to discuss and there isn't really a board which makes minutes a little strange.  It really is just you, so it isn't hard...
 This brings up a pet peeve. I hate washing square and rectangular cake pans.  They get tiny crumbs stuck in the corners that I have to dig out with a toothpick.   Round pans are easier and faster to wash.   But no, I don't actually charge more for squares except that "all cakes are priced individually by number of servings and complexity of design" so a square that provides more servings will cost more based on servings and "complexity" might take into account how many...