Posts by RobCrusoe

Hiya Mo   Thanks for your reply :)  You are almost definitely right about it having been over worked I'm afraid.  As a last resort I have followed your advice in the hope that it works.  I dont have any gelatine but have added some more lard, wrapped it and it is now resting.  I'll give it a go in a bit again but if not it will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get to the cake shop!   Thanks ever so much :)
OK,I'm in the middle of rolling out my fondant at the moment and it has all gone horribly wrong :( I started rolling my fondant after adding my colour and made a mistake, rolled again, made another mistake (I'm not a professional but I have decorated plenty of times) and so on a few times.  By then, my icing was cracking at the edges as it was quite dry so I added a bit of water to and kneeded it in to make it more moist.  It worked so I rolled again but I was still having...
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOve cake pops never mind the children lol.  There seem so many ways to make cakepops so it's good to read your recipe :)  Thing is... I don't have any left over cake so I'd have to make cake before making the cakepops.  It might be something we could do on Sunday IF I get enough housework done this weekend lol.   The other easy option I've just thought of... and I'm not convinced it would actually work is... rum truffles.  Do you think rum would mix in with...
Thanks for your comments Suzanne.  To be completely honest, I'm glad to receive your pointers.  I'm certainly all for constructive criticism.  Otherwise how do we ever learn? :)  The ears in the picture you linked to were what I was trying to achieve and I think it may actually have worked but it didn't, partly because (like you say) I needed to make them thicker so they were easier to pinch thinner at the bottom end and partly because I cut them out ready for my daughter...
All done . Fairly pleased with the outcome although I would have liked the ears to be better. I had a few spare cakes so I coated them with piped butter cream. Unfortunately I didn't have the right nozzle. I shall have to go shopping and get me one of those nozzles that must be used on all of those posh looking cupcakes. Unfortunately I added cocoa to the butter cream before reading the last post . So I had chocolate butter cream covered in holographic powder and with...
P.S.Cupcakes made and now cooling :)  Decorating some this afternoon (with the guidance of my 2 1/2 year old son) and my daughter is going to decorate the rest when she gets home from school.
Hahaha yes, you'd think that living in Cumbria would mean that it wouldn't be far!  I'm only 20 minutes, if that from the edge of the Lake District, in fact I used to live there BUT I'm at the northern end and Lakeland is at the southern end and with all those blessed mountains and lakes in the way it takes a good hour and a half to get there! (*sigh*)  ...Unless you have a private helicopter... which unfortunately I don't lol.  So near, yet oh so far!
Thanks guys for all of your replies.  Firstly, Suzanne / Relznik I completely agree with you.  If I think about cost I would be far better off just buying a pack of cakes from the supermarket.  People keep asking me to make cakes for them and my response is that to cover costs I would have to charge them professional rates and if they were wanting to shell iut that sort of money they would be better off getting a cake made by a prossional as mine would just not look...
Hi.  I do do some amateur cake decorating but not usually cupcakes.  I need to make some cupcakes for a fundraiser on Friday though and am hoping I might get some pointers in here.  The cakes are for primary school kids so need to be eye catching and super yummy (of course).  I thought of doing a pudsey face with an eye patch on but was wondering what the quickest and easiest and most effective way to do the eye patch is.  I thought I would do a few different styles too...
Thanks guys.  I realised AFTER posting the picture that I hadn't put a ribbon around the cake drum.  What a difference it can make to how good a cake looks!  The party was this evening and it went down a real treat :)  They didn't manage to get through it all but as it was a school halloween party they are taking the bottom layer in to school tomorrow to be served up.  I DO love cake but there's no way even I could have got through THAT much cake in a week lol.  I could...