Posts by melissamc

Yeah. Especially because this was my one little escape. One of the only things that's made me happy this past year. And now I've been balling my eyes out for the past hour. Is a surprise cake really that rare? Honestly she would have been very happy with that tiny purple orchid cake. And some plain sheet cakes. I only made that little cake to take a stab at gum paste flowers. Not so bad for a first try and no classes. I thought this website was about sharing ideas and...
I just want to delete this whole thing and anytime I ever have a question in the future, I'll find it on you tube. I was bragging to all my friends about this website just like 2 days ago. Now I want to go away and pretend like I never found it.
This whole thing has got totally out of control. I've showed her around 30 photos and she told me things she liked and didn't like. She never told me exactly what she wanted. So the surprise element that I started this whole conversation about was about incorporating different things from the photos I showed her. I'm not insulting her. I think that topper is tacky and I've told her that. So howsweet, I think your comment was completely rude. You had nothing to say that had...
Awe thank you. Y'all made me cry. That was really sweet. The 8 month mark was just Saturday. I'm a mess and still waiting to wake up from this nightmare.
There is no way I'm not doing it. She asked me. I said I'd do my best. She said she knows I won't disappoint. That's why I started researching and practicing this far in advance. I do and never would have thought I'd enjoy decorating cakes as a hobby. My boyfriend died suddenly 8 months ago. He had a huge sweet tooth. I never did, and still don't. Decorating cakes takes my mind off things and who knows, maybe this is him influencing me, showing me some talent I never knew...
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Part of the problem is that some of the things she picked out are just way beyond anything I think I can do. This cake is the only reason I've made more than the first two. Knowing I needed LOTS of practice. This hasn't been a cheap hobby to get into. I feel like I've been to Hobby Lobby/Michael's 30 times and spend 80$ every time. The wedding isn't until June so I still have plenty of time. I've given her taste tests so flavor wise,...
Well my best friend is getting married. I've only been doing cakes for 4 months. And only after the first 2 cakes I've ever made she asked me to do her wedding cake. The talent just came naturally. So I'm maid of honor too. I've gotten over the initial stress and think I got this down. Going to have my mom assemble it that day. My question is, I showed her examples of lots of cakes and have an idea of what I'm going to do. But it's not exactly what she pointed out. I'm OCD...
That's the exact recipe I used. I might have added too much sugar. I didn't know how it was supposed to look. I guess I was expecting a ball and for the sides to not have so much fondant stuck to them. But when I finally touched it, I knew it was done. Or over done. Next time I'll keep touching it.
Mine is pretty still after taking it out of the mixer, I could barely get it out of the mixer it was so stuck to it. Like a fondant ready to go. Should I knead in some glycerine before wrapping it up?