Posts by johnycake

@smckinney in my response to DD I said I wasn't referring to you. So please do not take that statement any other was as i was not referring to your reply . Your advice was helpful, detailed and considerate. I thanked you after I read your response for the useful information. I do not think you were being rude, mean or nasty at all. No worries
@ delicious desserts thank you for your input but I think you misunderstood. I thanked everyone as I replied to everyone thanking them for there advice I wasn't directing my previous reply to @smckinney. I have NEVER exchanged any cakes for money therefore I have never done any business illegally so let's clear that up. I do cakes as favors in what I refer to as orders, like I said doing cakes is my hobby and I have a need a lot more practice ( as we can see ). All I was...
Uhhh Ok, Thank you for all those concerned about my cake disaster. That's why I posted because I wanted help. Not to divert from that, I have a coworker who expressed interest in a cake and I was going to do it as a favor. Other than that I have not been taking orders professionally. I came here for encouragement and enlightenment not for any other questions about licenses or anything in that arena. I personally think veterans in this business should embrace new-bees and...
@smckinney07 I appreciate the advice. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL BAKER and I've never claimed to be however I have been baking for almost 10 years. And have had many requests, informal of course for my confections. This was just my first time (well not including experiments) making a fondant cake. And it was for a family celebration, I wouldn't have gone about production this way, if it wasn't for an intimate/family setting. Baking and decorating is just a hobby for me. I'm...
@ asyouwish you hit the nail on the head! I think I would store the cake in a air conditioned room just to keep a regulated cool temperature so I will do that. But I agree with you, you can do everything right with a cake that can end up being in vain if it is not stored properly, next time I will make sure I store it correctly like an air conditioned room. Thank you very much for replying. I just wanted to figure out what I was doing wrong for future reference.
@ sugar cakes yes, I realized that buttercream would've been better and will definitely be the option for my next order. I know that the fondant was not rolled evenly so that is what contributed to the cake tearing. Do you know anything about Swiss buttercream under fondant? And I really don't want to refrigerate the cake at all because most customers don't refrigerate cakes when it is dropped off especially if its irregular or a cumbersome cake. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR...
HIII! Okay down to business; my nephew's first birthday party invloves making a cake. I wanted to make a really good one, decided to do a 6'' and 9'' stacked. I used really big sturdy straws. The stability of the cake was good but the fondant not so much. The bottom was a zebra inspired cake and the top was blue. I made the fondant two days ahead(MMF) and tightly wrapped and left in a cool place.I iced the caked with a boiled frosting. Could that have been a problem? I...