Posts by luvmykids2bits

I've tried all different kinds. Lindt chocolate, PC Brand chocolate, Chipits semi-sweet chocolate chips, bulk grocery store dark chocolate wafers (brand unknown).   What brand gives the most success?
What consistency is it supposed to be?  Today's batch turned out very sticky, kind of like fudge sauce that you'd use on ice cream.  I've had a fluffier consistency before (like a thin buttercream) that spread beautifully but then sagged to the bottom of the cake when I put on the fondant, and then turned the fondant soft and soggy and the fondant ripped.  Do you whip it after it sets up?
I've made it successfully once, before I started cake decorating, of course when it didn't matter.  Now, no matter what I do, I can not get it to be the right consistency for icing a cake!  I've watched tutorials, I've tried different rations of chocolate to cream, I've let it sit at room temperature and in the fridge, I've whipped it, and each time it ends up too thin or too sticky (today's batch just pulled chunks of cake off when I tried to spread).  I used dark...
Anyone?
My son turns 10 next week and wants a Princess Bride movie party (BEST film of all time!)  The requested cake, of course, is an ROUS, or rodent of unusual size.  He wants chocolate cake, so I plan to make and stack cakes and then carve them into the shape of an ROUS, ganache it, and then use fondant accents for the claws and teeth, but then I'm stumped for the fur.  How in the world would should I do the body?  Fondant?  Buttercream?  If I use fondant, how do I get it to...
Thanks, everyone.  Some helpful tips and information, I'm going to try again with a practice cake with straws, using K8Mephis's way of setting the cake on the tiers, and gluing the cake boards together.  I've only ever been able to find thin cake boards, I don't know why I never thought to glue a bunch together!  So simple, but so genius!
How much weight will a bubble straw hold up before it buckles?
Oh, and yes, I put some buttercream between each tier.
Thanks for the compliments on the cake - it was pretty cool before the bottom tier squashed on me!   What I did was started with very cold (partially frozen cakes).  Leveled each cake round (two for the bottom, six for the middle) so they were about 1-1.5 inches in height, sandwiched the layers with buttercream, and then crumb coated the tiers and let them sit and settle for about two hours.  Then I measured and cut the dowels and stacked the tiers.  I had a cake board...
I posted at Christmas about an anniversary cake I did for my in-laws that leaned and collapsed.  It was a 12 inch, 10 inch, and then double height eight inch.  I used the wrong type of supports and thought I had my problem solved.   I tackled another cake today that was a 3 inch high 10 inch bottom tier, an seven inch high 8 inch middle tier, and then a carved top tier.  Everything was going perfectly, I had cake boards between each layer, as well as a cake board in the...