Posts by ericapraga

I find that no matter what the recipe, anytime I bake gluten-free, the cupcakes shrink. When I take them out of the oven, they are lovely, domed, very nice, then as they cool down, they shrink into little cakelets! They shrink away from the edges of the pan by almost a quarter inch all around. THey are still soft and moist, just smaller and puny looking.   Any suggestions, or is this just what gluten free does? I use a gluten free baking mix and a touch of xantham gum.
I sell cupcakes, cake cups, pies, cookies, brownies and bar desserts at local food festivals. Everything is pre-packaged at room temperature in cello bags that have been heat sealed. My problem is that when they are set out the next day for sale, as the sun comes up, they begin to condense in the package! I do have a canopy, but there is only so much I can do to keep the sun off them.   I was thinking that instead of heat sealing the package, I would simply fold the top...
I have spoken to SCORE and to the local small business  , as well as the local women's sba. All would be super helpful if I wanted to take out loans, or open a shopfront now. However, none are really good at networking me with other businesses that do what i would like to do or with business that could possibly carry my product. Nor do they have any knowledge of food packaging, etc.    They really only offer help with financing and business plan writing. I know what i...
I run a custom bakery and dessert catering business in Philadelphia. I would like to take it to the next level, with the goal of opening a storefront in the next 2 years (trying to do so with minimal loans) so I would like to build my customer base. I currently make desserts for a couple of local restaurants but only occasionally do custom work. I work a couple of local festivals as well.   My goal is to get into more restaurants and to get into putting packaged product...
This would totally be the picture I framed from my wedding.
Okay, I have updated the website. I took a lot of the suggestions, so hopefully this helps! Can I get feedback about the new site? TIA!!
Hi everybody!   Thanks so much for the comments! They have all been really helpful!   There were lots of comments about pictures-they are on a page that is towards the back-I originally had pics in with the descriptions, but then the pages were really long to scroll through! I think there is only 1 or two that are common license (like a picture of brownies or fudge maybe), but all the cakes are mine. Plus, who really needs pics of chocolate chip cookies? They look like...
I could use some advice-I have a website that I made and have been told it is very nice. However, I have not gotten very much business from it. I was wondering if fellow business owners could take a look at it and tell me if there is some glaring issue that I do not see that could be turning off potential clients. I am getting between 40 to upwards of 80-90 individual views a day, and this has been going on for months, so I was hoping to see some business. I work out of...
Royal icing should work fine.
This has been an issue I have been working with. I have done something similar, taken products to likely places-hospitals, delis/caterers, places were people would be likely to order my product. Some have worked out, some have not. I would have to say that 90%of it does not work, at least for me. It is a great idea, and people do love free desserts! But you have to be able to do this continually (like every month or so) for your name to stick. My husband is constantly...