Posts by anaelisabethlee

Thank you
Cool cake Cat! Nothing special from me, but a cute practice one this week. I uploaded it to my pics yesterday. I had a cake baked and in the freezer ready for a client, but then my husband left the freezer door open after getting the chips out, and it defrosted so I couldn't sell that. I used it for practice instead. I had a go at peter rabbit (what are the copyright laws on that one? There are a million on Google!) it doesn't look much like peter rabbit, just a generic...
Freezing won't dry it out, make sure it's wrapped properly. I tort mine before they're frozen because I have a wimpy Wilton leveller that would never cope with a frozen cake. Carve it while still very cold, it'll come to room temp. Crumb coat, chill, buttercream.
I have visions of yoghurt and wine curdling.... But then you'd mix white wine with cream in a casserole I guess.... Try it, then you'll know if it works or not
I don't think you should give it up at all, but I don't think you are portraying your cakes in the best way. Really think about the lighting and photography - make sure there is nothing in the background, like a fridge, hob, kettle etc Do a nice set up. How are you advertising? Do you have a FB page? What are your competitions prices? If everyone around is stupidly low then it may not be worth your while...
Have you tried MS Word? That's got a few borders on it.
Yikes!That would be at least £150 for me.
Ok, so I've just been through it You need to register as self employed with HMRC Apply to your local council - here is where it can be a bit vague. It varies from county to county, but in herts where I live, it worked like this: filled in form, form received, they called me and had a chat about what I intended to do. For my situation (2-3 cakes per month max, word of mouth) they did not prioritise me for an inspection, but I have to let them know if I change anything,...
The thing is with mummy forums, is that generally people want a bargain. I had a nose through a reply to a cake request on a buy/sell/swap group on Facebook, and the baker that replied she would do this cake for £30 (I would charge £80-100 for that one) had her page full of pictures of cakes that were complete drivel. Awful, lumpy fondant, random crap in the background of the pics etc etc. roses that looked like rolled up fondant. Anyway, moral is, you get what you pay...
 Nope... it's a gift for a friend :) His parents were really good friends with my mum, and since she died she has taken us under her wing and does an unbelievable amount of babysitting for me, not to mention super generous with gifts for my boys. It's the least I can do! By the way AZ, can I just say you're my idol and when I grow up I want to be like you!