Posts by MKBeck27

Hey there! I work up at the farmer's market every Saturday in order to get my name out there to do cakes and cupcakes. I sell cinnamon rolls, granola, and cookies to make it worth my while being up there. I usually bring a couple dozen cupcakes packaged by the 6 pack. There is a lady who buys a 6 pack of cupcakes most weeks. She has started to special order a pack of three strawberry lemonade and three cookies and cream (done with homemade Oreos.) Fine by me most weeks...
lSince I'm in total agreement and cannot stand seeing "Their is too much to do today" or "Were going to the beach this week" and see them all time, there isn't any sneaking in on this post!   I'm going to try raising the temperature for the first few minutes and the oven rack one slot to see how that works out this week. Thanks for the advice! I don't do large pieces of fondant, so I don't want to create the look of dome, but want to have an actual domed cupcake....
I'm in a home kitchen and working the local farmer's market. I'd like to keep moving into my cakes and cupcakes (I sell cupcakes at the market) but I really need to improve the way they look. Everyone agrees they taste great, but I think they look very homemade still. I bake completely from scratch with a slant toward natural foods, so I only use butter in my cupcakes. Any suggestions as to how I can get a better dome shape to them? I tried lowering the temperature 25*...
I burnt the motor out of my first mixer, a cheap Sunbeam. I was making my own wedding cake and luckily it burnt out on the trial run! My husband's grandmother loaned me her old Kitchen Aid and then as a wedding gift told me to keep it. I'd love to get something bigger (it's only 4 qt bowl) but it's still chugging away and I believe it's close to 20 years old.
Packaging can be a killer but I found a relatively inexpensive way to do individual cupcakes. I use 9oz clear cups (100 for $5 and change at Costco) and drop each one into a clear treat bag (1000 for $15 at wesellcoffee.com.) It's about 6-7 cents a cupcake and they look cute. Plus you can get some forks and people will buy "one for now and one for later."
I'm doing the same this weekend. I did make 3 trays of 24 mini cupcakes to pass out...I just figured people will walk over to get a sample and then I'll have a better chance of selling. I live in a rural area too, and we have either a Walmart ($12 for a large cake, or $5 for 12 cupcakes!) or a bakery that sells individual cupcakes for 80 cents each. I'm going to try for $2 for a single cupcake or $5 a 6 pack. I did a bunch of quick breads, granola, and a few cookies just...
:-( The "go-to" bakery in my town sells plain frosted cupcakes for 80 cents each. $10.50 a dozen if you want a pick put in it. I have a much higher quality cake than they do, so I can't afford to sell my cupcakes that cheap! They make it tough for me to sell mine for too much higher though.
Well, I just pulled scratch made batter from the fridge from yesterday and it did just fine. It was completely baking powder, not soda, so maybe that helped, but it looks perfectly normal. I was a little worried about it too, but not that much.
Was it Sherry Batat? She was really nice. My recipe for cream cheese icing is almost exactly the same as the one jason_kraft posted, so I'll have to see how in demand the cream cheese is. I made my own wedding cake and it was with cream cheese icing and everyone was nuts about it. I was just lucky that I didn't have any trouble with the venue about bringing my own cake. I also kept it refrigerated right up until the reception started, so it wasn't out more than an hour...
Fascinating! Thank you so much! I'm trying to find out from the state what I have to do to be checked so I can stay on this side of the law.