Posts by liz at sugar

I got some of my plaques from ecrandal.com.  Also have ordered some made by a 3D printer off Etsy, when I need something very specific   Liz
I would not attach it until the last minute before delivery.  Is it very humid where you are, or are you trying to store the glass in the fridge?   I have not used Isomalt, but you might try that - might not react the same way as regular sugar.   Liz
Yes, please rethink your website language.  Just because being "wallet friendly" may be an appealing thought to YOU, it isn't to your target customer.  You are attracting cheapskates.   Liz
I would use a good quality raspberry preserves or jam if I were you - the sleeve fillings are pretty awful.  The raspberry is just the stuff they put in bismarcks in your grocery store bakery.  Just my opinion. :)   Liz
Do you have a photo of your booth setup?  That might help to determine if your merchandising might have been lackluster.   Liz
I'm not really a fan of using the word Rogue, for two main reasons: everyone will ask why that is the name, and you'll have to launch in to a tangential explanation that it is not really related to cake.  Seems like a hassle to me - might get old fast.   Second reason - if you read it really quick, you might see Rouge instead of Rogue.  May miss some customers who aren't getting it right.  You need to make it EASY for people to find you. :)   Just my two cents.   Liz
I second Dayti's suggestion of Demystifying Macarons by Helene Dujardin.  I use her recipe exclusively, and I made 700 this week, so I promise her method works!   The hardest part is figuring out your oven temp/time/fan speed.  I'm currently at 275 degrees on high convection for 12 or 13 minutes (Bakers Pride oven).  Nicely cooked with no discoloration.   Good luck!   Liz
If any of you are fans of the show "The Profit" on CNBC, you'll be interested to know that Marcus Lamonis just stepped in to provide financing for Crumbs, paying their payroll and bankruptcy filing expenses.  He will look at the profitability of each store, look at expanding the product line to other sweets, etc.  I am guessing it will be a featured company on his show this fall or winter.   If you haven't watched the show, it really emphasizes the basics of business in...
Quote: Yes.  K8 has it correct. Business or accounting classes might be warranted if you aren't familiar with how to figure the profit margin on a business you are involved in.  Liz