Posts by suzannem5

I have just uploaded a pic of a cake I made last weekend if that helps - all edible jewels and dragees, not a flower in sight - http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3160193/a/3437436/all-edible-jewels-and-dragees/sort/display_order/   Do you have any ideas of themes or items you'd like to incorporate in the design?
Thank you for your reply Smckinney07.  I will experiment and let you know how it goes.  Good to know you've add liquid to IMBC successfully, I've only ever added a little vanilla extract, which I suppose I could substitute for brandy at the whisking stage and see how it tastes.
I've been experimenting with cupcakes containing mincemeat and spices as a bit of a Christmas flavour and think a brandy-flavoured buttercream would go well with them.   I only use IMBC on cupcakes, I can't stand 'crunchy' crusty buttercream and I'm not keen on adding the brandy straight at the end for a couple of reasons - one, I'm worried that it might make the IMBC runny and two, as I don't drink alcohol I don't want the 'burn' you get from using it straight, just the...
These flowers are wired and taped into several small sprays, which would be inserted into flower picks at different points on the cake.  This is not an easy cake for a beginner - even after many years' experience I still tear my hair out with wired cascades - and much prefer to do unwired flowers stuck directly to the cake - not exactly the same effect, but similar enough perhaps?  
I don't often cover the board before icing the cake - you really need to leave the cake to firm up overnight before moving otherwise you will mark the soft icing.  I much prefer to place the uniced cake on the board and roll out the paste large enough to cover cake and board all in one, using the right-angled side Edger to smooth the sides of the cake and board together.  You don't need to place the cake on it's own hardboard, just set it directly on the drum.  
You could pick up a brand new Kenwood for less than £200 - don't go for the fancy silver models, the performance is exactly the same.  There's a KM330 on Ebay for £160.   I've never used a Kitchen Aid - been a Kenwood girl all my life.  I wanted another, cheapie mixer and bought an Andrew James one recently - yes, it was cheap but you get what you pay for - I wish I hadn't wasted my money.  It's noisy and the beaters do not touch the bottom or sides of the bowl -...
Covapaste is soft and easily marked when handling, it doesn't harden as firm as Regalice, for example but it does firm up a good bit if left overnight.  Sometimes this can work in your favour, I have removed air bubbles successfully the day after the cake has been covered in Covapaste but I'd prefer a sugarpaste that air bubbles didn't form in the first place - I get very few with Regalice.   The Covapaste certainly shouldn't slide off when you put the flowers on...
You can certainly cover board and dummy separately and cover the join with ribbon, piped dots etc - whatever fits in with your design.   I have recently been using Covapaste after a horrendous batch of Regalice (always my preferred sugarpaste) and I don't find Covapaste forgiving at all - it is very soft and marks easily and prone to developing massive air bubbles but I know of others who wouldn't use anything else, so we all have different opinions and what works...
No, you don't need a cake board below a dummy.  Will your 20" drum be iced?   If I am icing a dummy that's to sit on a larger (iced) cake drum I stick the dummy to the drum with royal icing and leave to set, then cover dummy and board all in one.  
If it was me I would remelt it and add more chocolate.