Posts by Rachbakes

Wow, yours came out beautiful! Did you use modeling chocolate for the chevron? She makes it look so easy! I love her razor blade tip though!
Also, as far as the waxed paper transfer, for some reason, the stripes seemed to go upward after the first few were straight. Does that even make sense? Perhaps it was my cake that was the problem... as far as the blue goes.. I ended up using a navy blue gel and then added a drop of red to cut the green. Thank you slun4ogledka! Color came out fantastic. I had tried the sky blue and the wilton cornflower to no avail. Green was constantly showing up! Great trick with the...
Thank you all :) I watched Jessica and she is phenomenal! Unfortunately, I didn't have time to make the striped with modeling chocolate. This cake was an absolute nightmare to make! I tried cutting strips of fondant with a four wheeled biscotti cutter. Though it would work out well. All I can say is, unless you are extremely skilled, working with vertical stripes on a cake is very challenging! Im glad that I tried, but this cake kicked my butt! Even after settling it...
Just wanted to update you all on the finished product! Turned out pretty well. My customer was more than happy! Thanks for all of your advice and support!
So I was asked to make this cake for a baby shower this weekend. It's really pretty. If anyone would be so kind as to offer some insight, id really appreciate it! My questions go as follows! 1. The stripes. Are those plastique or fondant? HOw do I get them nice and clean on the top and bottom an dso perfectly straight. It almost looks like a collar over fondant. Do I do the wax paper method? 2. The client wants that exact blue. I'm having such a hard time getting that...
Thank you Apti! I have to say, everyone is really nice over here! I look forward to sharing and contributing. Great tutorial! @bakingirene I definitely will, this cake has to endure a 45 minute drive. I am cringing already. Delivery can be really stressful. I could also swear those flowers are not edible, but I will now make/attempt the ranunculas. Also, thank you @shanter !  
Thank you all very much! At first glance I thought it was buttercream and then felt like it looked a bit more structural (fondant) I appreciate the clarification! I actually feel better about it being buttercream now! What a beautiful cake @nhbaker What type did you use for your buttercream if you don't mind my asking. I usually use a 50/50 but I'm thinking that I might need something more dense or stiff to hold the ruffle. @Mallorymaid thanks for the flower...
Thank you so much @texascakebaker I really appreciate your response! In looking at the picture closely, you may be right. Maybe it is just thin "uneven" strips of fondant. Thanks for that link, I will look into it now! Ps- Unrelated, I just got back from visiting Austin and fell in love with Texas 
Hello all! I absolutely adore this site! I'm new here and was just asked to make this ruffle cake? I've seen a bunch online but this one seems different. The strips seem thinner and less "worked" or frilled with. Anyone know how to achieve this look? Also, how were those peonies on top made so life like?! Ahhh I'm in trouble! Any help would be greatly appreciated! My apologies for any image embedding issues :/