Posts by zjones4

I always use real butter for my buttercream unless i am making a dummy layer for a cake. If I want it lighter I increase the amount of meringue I add to the buttercream. I always use italian buttercream for stability and it holds volume better than other meringues. On another subject, the color of butter is affected by the cow's diet and among other factors. So color can indicate quality, but only in terms of the health Nd diet of the cow. I have had very high quality...
If you know how to temper chocolate, then use TRANSFER SHEETS!   spread chocolate onto it (it is a strip or sheet of acetate paper.  i.e. transparency paper) and just before it sets, score it.  a single sheet can get you a hundred or so in a couple minutes if they are only 1cm big.   before the chocolate fully sets, gently bend it toward you (so the chocolate is on the outside) so that it more closely follows the curvature of the pretzel.   when the chocolate...
That is the way to do it! My only experience is that I have to mail order everything and i'm slightly impatient. Making a silicone mold is more involved, but once you have it, you have it forever. When I am looking for a quick way, I will cast the sugar making a solid piece. They are heavy, but I can leave it to harden while working on other things.good luck Ginger08!
I do not know your familiarity with sugarwork in general so it is hard to go off of what you have said so far. Most techniques build upon each other. I.e. cast a base, and pull the rest, take the excess and use it for blowing. Take all the pieces and bring them together into a cohesive whole. Working with blown sugar only is rather one dimensional in terms of technique repetoire. There are quite a few other techniques I would recommend learning before blowing...
Are you making a reall bottle or just casting a basic shape? the play-doh will work (I prefer polymer clay personally)if you cover it with plastic wrap. Surprisingly, the plastic wrap will not melt. Rather, it sets up again when cold, and being a petroleum product, wil not adhere to the sugar. if you want a real bottle then transparent sugar blowing is the way to do that to make a 3D mold will take more work. basically, make a mold of each half of the bottle, line...
Chocolate's crystalline structure allows it to reflect the texture of the surface it is on. This basically means that you cannot touch them at all and use something that is highly glossed to maintain shine. k8mpmhis is right about using a spatula to transport them. Before tapping out my chocolates from the mold, i go over it with my spatula/putty knife like crazy and i find that i have no need to clean up the edges if i do it that way. i will warm up my spatuula over...
I am a big supporter of IMB. It works great and when made right, it holds a good shape, soft texture, and is still firm enough for other applications. Another thing that can be done is to cook the sugar about 5degrees F more than normal. This gives a little more firmness and stability. As a side note, making italian meringue with a sugar cooked to firm ball stage makes marahmallows! The only other thing needed is gelatin when is aded at the end of making the meringue.
My plan was to apply gel color via airbrush, diluted with vodka/everclear. Once dry, i will use the moulds as normal. Perhaps my real question is if non-cocoa/oil based colors will carry onto the chocolate or stay in the mould. I would like to avoid hand brushing color as i have 300+ of these puppies to do! So if i can do this with colors i already have, i can make them now, ahead of schedule making upcoming projects easier. I also think my paradoxical adj's translate...
Here is another possibility that may possibly be a factor in the sinking. The buttercream underneath the fondant (and even the fondant itself) may be sagging downward. The only solution I can think of is to pull the cake out of your cooler and immediately transport it to the venue. You can try stiffening your buttercream a little by not making it so soft either. Some cake bsuinesses like to add as much water to their buttercream as possible to increase profit margins....
Here is another tip or few then. Have a hot air dryer on a stand. The gentle heat will prolong your working time. Attach a small chunk of pulled sugar onto the blown sugar piece if you are attaching the blown piece to another item. The walls of blown sugar are too thin and a gaping hole will form if heated directly. Instead, melt the nub you just attached so it adds strength and heat protection. When you do the very first few pumps to inflate the sugar hold it staigth...