Posts by KirasCakery

I found a place (through a friend of a friend) that is willing to rent their kitchen to me for a very reasonable price. He already has an established carry out food restaurant and is willing to add my desserts to his menu in addition to using his kitchen for larger scale projects. The arrangement seems ideal, especially since I am just starting out and do not really have a large clientele base yet. EXCEPT... the place is nowhere near as clean as I would like. He has some...
I managed to find an ancient mixer in the basement, it's probably the weakest mixer I've ever used! Lol But it sure beats doing it all my hand! I will definitely make sure that I have a decent quality back-up mixer in the future!!!
The motor on my mixer just broke right in the middle of mixing batter #2 of 4. I feel like someone just stole my puppy! I hope I can get this batter right by hand... Or I'm up the creek...
Update: The fromscratchsf white cake recipe yields 9 cups when doubled. I put 7 cups of batter in my 9x13x2 pan and I have a perfect 1/4 sheet cake!!   I couldn't find my flower nail and forgot to check for bake even strips when I went to the supply store. But all turned out beautifully!   One down, 3 more to go....
Awesome! Thank you!
He rolled it on in between a folded ziploc bag. Well, maybe 'rolled' is the wrong term. He more or less smeared it a bit... I am gonna give it a shot tonight... Will let you know how it goes... (fingers crossed lol)
I found a video on youtube the other day where the chef made roses out of rolled pate a choux dough. I tried to go back and view the video again but, of course, cannot find the darn thing anywhere!! I am going to attempt a couple tonight when I make my cream puffs...   But I was wondering if anyone else has seen/tried this?   I was thinking of dipping the baked flower in a candy or white chocolate coating... We'll see what happens tonight! LOL
Thanks. When do you usually add your color? Before or after it's chilled?
I know the usual way is to add flavorings, such as fruit, but the customer doesn't care for fruit. I have a baby shower order and want to do a pink pastry cream inside the cream puffs. Can I just using icing color? (I usually use Wilton Icing Color) Or could I mix some of the buttercream from the cake (that will already be colored) into the pastry cream?
Thank you all so much! I do understand how different cakes rise differently and what not. I have heard about the flower nail technique... Do i need to spray the nail or just stick it in the center of the batter? And which way do I put in in?   I also like the idea of using the paint stick to guage how high your batter is in the pan. I've never been good at eyeballing measurements.   If I fill the pan 2/3 of the way, that would be about 1.3 in. I'm pretty...