Posts by DriveMeBatty

Thanks for the advice! I do use a KA stand mixer, and the bowl is always quite hot to the touch, but the egg/sugar mix is definitely cooler than the bowl - although it never seems to get down to room temperature. I made some caramel bc this afternoon, once I had my nice thick glossy meringue I put it onto the lowest setting and left it for about 15 minutes (I was hoping that being on the lowest setting would allow it to cool easier while preventing the meringue from...
I've made SMBC several times and absolutely love it, but one thing I don't like is waiting for my meringue to cool to room temp before adding the butter. Most recipes for SMBC state to beat the egg white/sugar mixture till stiff peaks form and is at room temp, but for some unknown reason, my egg white/sugar mix NEVER cools down!!! I've had it in the mixer for nearly an hour without the temperature going down, it is driving me bonkers! I normally give up after about half...
Lol, I just went and had a look at the recipe Tails uses and the two recipes are virtually the same! The one Tails recommended uses brewed coffee in place of the water and the quantities look like they're doubled. I'm going to use brewed coffee in mine the next time I make it to see the difference (any excuse to test a new cake recipe, right? )
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/eggless-chocolate-cake-L1236.html This recipe is listed as an egg-free cake but it's also dairy free, so if you're after a chocolate cake I highly recommend it. I use this recipe all the time, it's my go-to 5 minute cake that tastes terrific and has never failed me (except for when my 3 year old decided to 'help' lol). I'm always being asked for the recipe from friends and family and it has terrific reviews on the site so I'm...
Basically the people who are buying cakes from the $25 cake lady are NOT your target customer anyway. These are people looking for champagne on a beer budget, your target demographic will be the higher income earners who wouldn't dream of being caught buying a cheap $25 cake lol! These people do exist, I've seen enough of it in the city (if you could call it that...) I live in, you just need to make sure you have that demographic in your region.   Stick to proper...
I would honestly recommend not making a Copha buttercream unless you have the time/money/inclination to do a test run first. Some people have success using it in their buttercream but most people who have tried it end up with a greasy mess that leaves a horrible mouth-feel. This isn't the case for all obviously since the previous poster seems to have success, hence why I would recommend doing a trial first if you choose to go this route.   The advantage in using a...
No worries, glad to help.   I do understand DeliciousDesserts frustration though. It happens far too often that newbies come on CC posting for help, then don't seem to appreciate any of the advice they're given, repost several threads trying to get new advice, get angry that all of the advice isn't what they want to hear, ignore said advice, then come back on CC upset because their cake failed etc.   Not that this is necessarily the case with you, but I've...
Ouch   Did you taste any of the cake scraps from leveling the cake etc? Did it taste good to you? If so then unfortunately I'd agree with your husband that everyone has different tastes and sometimes you can't please everyone. I'd be interested to see what anyone else has to say though...
Here's a highly reviewed recipe for an easy basic buttercream: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/quick-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-recipe/index.html   Now I haven't tried this recipe myself as I usually either use ganache or swiss meringue buttercream (which is a bit more difficult/time consuming/expensive to make) but looking at the reviews it seems that the recipe is pretty good. It doesn't call for Crisco either so you shouldn't have a problem getting...
Why not just use buttercream?? If it's too yellow for your liking you can add the tiniest little dab of violet to cancel out the yellow and turn the buttercream pure white. And that way you won't have to worry about breaking peoples teeth