Posts by TheAmateurBaker

Didn't realise I never replied to this Thanks for the tips guys, looking at the sugar flair site tonight for a nice red for valentines day!
Do a trial run just to see how close you can get to what you want with your own carving - you might surprise yourself!
Thanks for that link - ill have to wait till I'm on a computer before I can see how close the venues are on the map In other news! Since my contract at waitrose has finished, I have been offered a new one on the patisserie counter! (Is it a sign? ) can't wait to start, though the 6:15am starts sounds scary:) I have also enquired about the next open day for Business studies at my chosen university, but am waiting for them to get back to me. I also have a design plan for a...
Perhaps make it like a brooch? Maybe a nurses pocket watch and it can be on the face of the clock bit. Hmm I see the problem your having :p
I got the same idea given that most YouTube videos I've seen are American/Australian based too. So far, my cakes have had jam filling and either covered in jam before placing rolled fondant, a failed ganache (will have another go At that) or nothing in between since I have only used rolled fondant which doesn't taste nice anyway, so it worked fine as my family could peal the cake away easily :3I haven't been able to find 'gum paste' in supermarkets nor hobby craft for...
    Thankyou for the reply! I never really looked at it that way, especially now you have clarified the legalities. Unfortunately my local bakery are not hiring, as are the two local supermarkets.      Thankyou for your reply! Similar to Irene, I had never thought of the situation that way :) Your thoughts along with the legalities mentioned above completely make sense - sounds like I was being very optimistic by the sounds of it ;) Yes I am in the UK, up north in Leeds....
Thank you all so much for the replies! I contacted yet another shop today but unfortunatly the owner is recovering from a broken shoulder and isn't ind action till mid feb, but says I can go see her then. The business degree idea is a good one! I've never though about it before since learning about business has always sounded slightly dull to me but I can really see the benefits in it now. My chosen uni do well supported degrees in it too, so I'm currently looking at when...
The first I went to was unfortunately closing, and the second said she has been struggling for orders for a couple years and sent me away. I did offer to go in for free and help clear up ect just so I could observe the types of things they would be doing but she still said no - something a bit odd about that one! This evening I have emailed another place which is a little further out but looks great, though on closer inspection with google I think it's a home business so I...
Hello everyone I'm basically in need of some advice. I'm currently 19, have completed my alevels and am on a gap year. I currently hold a place to go university this October, although I feel that it is a subject I will do well in but will not be beneficial to me in the long run (schools more or less force you int applying for any degree and so I out down Media and Communications as I have no idea what I want to do in life). I've been interested in baking and cake...
Thanks for the reply   The recipe is actually from Deliah Smith - i'll paste it below     1 level tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder  1 rounded tablespoon golden caster sugar  9 oz (250 g) mascarpone  7 fl oz (200 ml) 8 per cent fat fromage frais All she says is to whisk them all together till thoroughly blended, and chill until needed.