Posts by cazza1

I have been making the Nicholas Lodge recipe, or other similar variations, on and off for years now and really love it.  It has great stretch and you can get it really thin.  When I get lazy I mix up some powdered stuff but it does not stretch as well.  Recently I bought some Satin Ice on a recommendation but I do not like it.  I find it too soft and not stretchy enough.
Maisie your roses look like mine did when I first started.  You have strangled them.  Start with a tighter wrap on your first 2 petals around your  cone and try to get your petals thinner.  But most importantly do not glue your petals too far up or they will look all tight.  Just a bit of glue near the base or on one edge and then hang upside down to get them to fall up(!).  Don't be afraid to put some little pieces of foam or whatever between the petals to stop them from...
Happy Easter Maisie and all you UK guys.  I can't believe you like Spam.  I thought British food was supposed to have improved to world class standards?? Seeming as you like spam so much, have some of mine.  This was the only thread I could find apart from the Aussie one in about 12 pages of spam.  Wish CC would work out how to fix it.  Maybe I'll avoid the site for a few days.  After all I am not in need of more love or any black magic either for that matter.  Have a...
Nothing quite like good old recycling.  One of the ladies I work with took the bunny, bunny bums, and carrot tops home to put on a cake for her kids for Easter.  She said there will be a big blue afterwards over who gets to put the bunny on their dresser.  I had better make 2 next time.  Don't want to start a civil war at their place.
Rfisher, Chelle gave me a great white mudcake recipe that has buttermilk and water/booze.  I substituted mango puree for the water part and also for some of the buttermilk as I did not have quite enough.  I also added some mango flavouring to the batter.  In addition I also added some mango flavouring to the ganache that I torted the cake with.   Crazy-Gray, hubby was home for the day and he could not believe that I had not spat the dummy.  Not even swearing.  Not like...
Go to the supermarket and buy some aniseed flavouring from the baking section.
Melodia you can get a lot of stuff on ebay.  I have also used Global Sugar Art,  Nicholas Lodge and Make your own Moulds in the states.
This is the failed hidden surprise cake.   Chelle, the mango mud cake is divine.  I didn't have quite enough buttermilk so I made up the difference with some extra mango puree (mushed up slices from a tin) and then added some mango flavoring for good measure.  I have been eating the offcuts from when I trimmed the cake.  I always reckon the sugary top that you cut off is the best bit.  It is very sweet as I had run out of my usual Callebaut white chocolate and used...
The Gods are not smiling on me today.  And I think my brain stopped working at about the same time.  I had 2 cakes on the go. A hidden surprise carrot cake and a hopefully pretty cake with some 'onlays' around it.  All was going well, with both cakes made.  HA HA, I lulled myself in to a false sense of security.   The hidden surprise cake looks reasonably cute with bunnies on the top in the carrot patch but when I cut it to see my carrots I realised that I had left my...
I have just bought a product called 'Thick N Cold Powder'.  Haven't used it yet but it is supposed to thicken liquids to the point where you can pipe them without using heat and whilst retaining the color and clarity of the liquid AND without any gummy mouthfeel.  Most of that is off the back of the bottle.