Posts by BomCakes

Have been following the WASC recipe from CC and loving the results. Now suddenly in the last two weeks, Alot of my cakes are coming out of the oven with a hard shell on the top. Like the entire top of the cake is a baked bubble. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? How to stop this?
This may or may not work for you, since you are running on a much smaller scale than the cookie company I worked for, but here goes.   I used to be a Critical Ingredient handler at Archway Cookies (now Lance/Snyder) in Ohio. I was the person who measured out things for production using only PARTIAL Recipes provided for me by the company. Salt, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Egg Powder, spices etc. NO Flour, Sugar, Liquids, Flavorings, Raisins, butter etc. Someone else...
Let's see,   Laci Cakes Fire Flour Flour Factory (think I've heard this one before) ClassiCakes Cakes Alive! Bake my day The Cakery Rock My Cakes   You have a beautiful name!  Lacey Shae ...BRAND it honey! There will be no repeats!
I am ready to purchase a 12 quart Hobart from a local pizza shop that went out of business. So investigating large recipes for batter and buttercreams. I have always been afraid to do more than triple recipes of anything for fear the batter or icing would get too off kilter. Am I right? or is there nothing to worry about? Anybody have some good large batch recipes to share?
Room temperature ingredients. Wilton bake even strips. If there is a slight dome I cut it off at the top of the pan with a long knife. I have actually started using the upside down method of frosting. Always wanted to try it but was afraid. It works beautifully for me for sharp edges. Cuts down on frosting time immensely. Before I could sit and smooth the top of a cake for 20 minutes and still not have it like I wanted it. So, it works!
OOOhhh..Two weeks ago I was due to deliver a cake about 55 minutes away. Got the address in the GPS, drove the 39 miles of country roads to the next county and pulled into the country club where I was to deliver. I was about an hour before the reception was to start, Perfect! Only when I got in the door and spoke to the manager to ask where the cake table was he said "There is no wedding reception here tonight."   I'm sure I must have turned white as a sheet because...
Bride stayed in her hotel room and the groom took care of it. He was drunk and a little intimidating, but I knew him in school, he just needed to be reminded how I knew him and he was great after that. I explained that the bride had a question about the number of servings, but never adjusted the number with me. I actually took copies of all correspondence/notes to show them. He said "there will be no discrepancy, don't worry about it. Here's the money." I thanked him and...
I have been going back and forth with this goofball bride for the last two weeks before her wedding. Her whole plan has been in place for a while and finalized. Okay, last night late I am finishing deco on her cake and I get a facebook message. Oh that's too pricey, and she said the number of guests is only (40 fewer than the final count as of Nov 9). The cake is baked honey is what I told her. She is pushing back on alot of what I'm telling her. She is obligated per our...
 Why don't you take a picture of the fanciest cake you've done for her, run it in the newspaper and publicly thank her for being your best customer! She could "win" a gift cert good toward her next order."Check out my other cake designs that "so and so" has purchased on my website!
Wow, Why would she have said that? Sounds like she's got thoughts of her own about a part of the process that protects YOU and You don't want that.   I make the rules when it comes to the Consultation, Deposit, Order Changes, Final payment, and Delivery and I do not cut the cake. I am flexible in some cases if an emergency arises. But if/when a Bride or MOB shows up and tries to hijack the consultation it's up to you to get it back and point them in the direction you want...