Posts by BomCakes

That was exactly what she meant alright. I just thought, What did I do? Her last cake was beautiful and she loved it. Posted it all over FB. I'm not into games. I am good to everyone, and try to be kind and honest/up front and helpful about any/everything. Chalk it up to experience I guess, ha!  ,
Relief!   You know sometimes It feels like losing no matter how far backward you bend. I had a girl book a cake with me way back in the spring for *June*  and I had not heard from her in a long while. I contacted her a couple of times asking for her final details because I needed to know what to purchase for it etc. Then I got to the week of and messaged her: "Hi Sadie!, I still need details for your little girl's cake. I am super swamped! Will be shopping for...
I've been doing a kit for wedding consultations. 5-6 cake flavors and about a dozen frostings, fillings in lil cups in a pretty gift bag. It works out because it takes about a half hour off of the consult and the couple enjoys the "gift". I always have extra batter so I just fill the little 4" square pans I have and make kits from them.
Re-invent! This sounds like delusions of grandeur but maybe you could host a celebrity pastry chef and offer classes? Some of them do tour giving classes for a fee ( book the Town Hall or your local Holiday Inn) There's money to be made there. Aspiring cakesters will shell out to meet a big name cake designer and get a few tips.  20 girls paying $150 each for an afternoon with so and so...Just sayin I flew to Atlanta 3 years ago to take classes with Nicholas Lodge for...
Something I am learning as I go is every cake I do becomes a 1-3 cake generator from friends/relatives of the customer who ordered. There have been times I have cut someone a deal and don't you know the next several contacts will quote that price back to me. "You made a beautiful cake for so-and-so for  $xx.xx  I want the same price!" (but with twice as much of everything) If you give in to this unreasonable request, a group of people may expect the same courtesy and...
This girl doesn't want to give $75.00 for a 3 tier for 60. Even the Pastry chefs cannot get 7.00 for a slice of cake here. The "Premiere" wedding cake shop in our town (over 20 years) is closing up shop this month because they can't make a go of it in this area at 3.75 per serving. It's farm country, nobody sees the value in it. Amish selling bread on every corner. There's a perfectly good Walmart right down the road.  I guess I feel that I have something of quality to...
Trending around here is the idea that adding three dozen cupcakes to an order and shrinking the cake sizes will make a three tier cake "cheaper". Heavens to betsy! What a notion child! The cupcake store in the next town gets$ 2.50 each all day long for their small, dry cupcakes. Apologies if that sounds uncharitable, but there it is.  Truthfully, a cupcake is a serving of cake with twice as much frosting! I just told this girl I do not offer cupcakes, or cake pops...
**Majic Line pans! or Fat Daddios. Stainless steel. Can be thrown in the dish washer, which I like, and do not stain/turn dark like wilton, Also the pans are uniform and straight sided unlike the Wilton 9" round that yeilds cakes that must be trimmed.   **I also stopped using the cake core. 9.00 each! and the rusting flower nails! a stainless steel round cookie/biscuit cutter works just as well and no fiddling with a core to trim and insert   Alot of the wilton...
If this hasn't made it on here before, I made a white cake for christmas last year from a recipe in Country Living Magazine called Mrs Billetts Wintery White Cake. Perfect first time. It was moist and had beautiful texture. They did a whole white cake tribute in the Dec 2012 issue with several icings and fillings that compliment this particular recipe. Check it out online or google Mrs Billetts Wintery white cake
Webs.com is free and has premade templates etc. It's pretty easy to use and you can make changes easily.