Posts by BomCakes

It's politics. I have a sister in law and an adult niece who almost never pay for cakes they order. If there's to be peace in my husband's family toward the only DIL (me) I will make the cakes and never ask for a penny. Crappy deal, but that's been the situation so I completely sympathize!    They always ask " how much do I owe you?" out loud in front of the room, but the check never materializes. I think the attitude is, "Well, but don't you LOVE your...
Confectionery. Fits no matter how large you become and doesn't confine or define
Not at all, you needed to see this guy. It was awkward borderline menacing. After that whole episode I don't care if he likes me personally, but he was a jerk plain and simple to his fiancée and a complete stranger. She seemed excited at first but devolved into an almost apologetic/begging manner after refusing to speak or help her choose. I wonder at him for ruining the fun of the cake appointment which was a special occasion in her mind and her for putting up with that...
Just finished a wedding consultation with a couple who drove quite a ways to do a tasting and iron out details for a tentative Sept wedding cake.. I welcomed them, introduced myself, we sat down at my table where the beautifully plated cake, filling and frosting selection was laid out..  The Bride was pleasant but the groom basically refused to speak the whole time, not a shy sort of silence but more "I don't like you/ want to be here". He didn't taste almost anything on...
I don't do adult themed cakes either. The customer is NOT always right. No matter what anyone tells you. They are Not entitled to anything you feel uncomfortable making.  I have worked in retail for decades and can finally just say that out loud and I mean it! I don't have qualms about breaking up with a customer if after great service, nothing I can do will make her/him happy. There are plenty more where she came from, and who needs the stress? I KNOW I bend over...
I had one yesterday while searching for a solution to my method of lining my pans with a sheet of wax paper I cut myself for each pan. I checked into buying the parchment rounds from the cake supply store near me, but they were like 19 cents each! What? I'm too cheap for that! But I'm busy and Sick of taking the time to cut them. I happened to spy some extra Coffee Filters on the counter my husband left out after morning coffee, and it dawned on me. Food safe, 8" paper...
Thanks for the support, wisdom and chuckles. I needed that Howsweet, I'm right there with you! Thoughts go out to you and your family!
I am never late. Almost Never. I have dreams about being late for things..  Ok so this last weekend I was working with a bride back and forth who only seems to want to text me on FB. She had my info from the Consult.  Anyways, I reminded her that her payment was a lil late-2 weeks- and I would need that to be able to deliver. All friendly like I always am to everyone. So she said  "I'm sorry, my mom will drop it by". Me- "ok I'll be here prob between 1-5 I have to be...
There are a few shops around here who share premesis. We have a coffee/sweet/sandwich shop in town who shares the front portion of her store with a gift business. Been there prob 5 years now. The Cupcake store in the next town has a purse shop in the front of it. Doing good so far. Would something like that be possible for you? Sharing the rent like that is smart and each business feeds the other.