Posts by Christi52

Thanks so much everyone, that's helped a lot!
Thanks for that, unfortunately we don't have cake flour in Australia!
What is the most successful substitute for cake flour? I've heard you can use plain flour but use 2 tablespoons per cup less, or substitute with plain flour with some cornflour added, but I don't know how much. I want to try a US recipe for red velvet cupcakes.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a good selection of cake dummies (higher than 3") and also the thick styrofoam cake boards in Australia?
Thank you all so much - I'll know my starting point and experiment from there.
Any suggestions on the best/easiest way to make Navy blue Fondant - will ready made (eg Satin Ice) royal blue and black kneaded together work?
I'm not a professional cake decorator, but have owned a cafe for the last 15 years. During this time we all know that food allergies have become so prevalent, so as a business owner I had to make some hard and fast rules about this. Our solution was to offer some items labeled as "no added Nuts", "no added Gluten" etc. We advised customers that we do use gluten, nuts etc. in our kitchen, and whilst every care would be taken, we could not guarantee "gluten/nut free". ...
I have used both Satin Ice and Orchard, and to be honest I can't say one tastes better than the other, they are just different. I find Orchard a little easier to use, a little firmer and doesn't mark as easily. I've been using Satin Ice lately because it's supposed to be "the best", but I wouldn't hesitate to use Orchard. Aussie cake decorators have been using it successfully for 50 years or so.
Thanks, I think that's what I'll do.
Yes, I do want to refrigerate, but am a little concerned about it affecting to Fondant - I've read that fondant should never be refrigerated. Thanks also for your help!