Posts by peppercorns

if cake business is that hard why stay in cake business at all? From what I read here, it appears like it's a " cut-throat' industry. How can anyone keep afloat with this kind of competition?
there is a bakery chain in Australia with products comparable to what one may bake at home, I have tried their Black Forest Cake, esp. and it tasted scrumptious, they have a large variety of cakes and pastry to choose from the most expensive cake I bought there costs me only $40 for a 9 inch single layer cake. I have also tried Costcos cakes although the cake presentation is beautiful, the cakes do not taste good. I think Cake Chains will survive if the products...
. Thank you for your response.
With so many people finding customized cakes too expensive, how can anyone in the business thrive?
Are those my dentures?
Hello, as you wish, you are right, I shouldn't be arguing, I had been so naughty today. This thread however keeps coming up and I thought I'd jumped in. He, he
Make everything from scratch, fondant, royal icing, marzipan, utilize Places like Costco, they have bulk sugar, flour, ground your own cinnamon, weigh instead of going swoop and deep, if an order includes something very expensive and customer will not allow substitution then you must let customer know that this will be billed separately from the cake. I'm surprised that despite of all the discussions here no one has really come up with a solution to pricing....
Ditto! I agree with you 100%, when one bakes a cake as a treat you of course bake from scratch and use the best and the freshest ingredient there is in the market. Because of this if I want dessert I make my own. Hah! I've learned to decorate from fondant to Lambeth and three d figures for my own leisure,spent a few thousand dollars chasing well known ********** teachers, buying expensive how to books as far as the Squires in England, and then when you bake a...
Oh let me add this, if you think doing this formula does not cover your paper towels, aluminum foils etc, then by all means add cost of living increase to your price say 3% and adjust your percentage according to cost-of-living increase index.
Wow, I'm causing a lot of furor over this one. I use this formula though, but wait before making a conclusion, consider these few things : let's say I spent $10 for a basic cake, to serve 20 people $10 for filling, $10 for fondant to cover cake, then a small bouquet made of varying sizes, which I will again bill separately (depending on how intricate) say $20, using this formula gives me a total of $150.00 now I divide this number with 20 serving, that gives me...