Posts by viannescakes

Had this lady, whose sons go to the same school with my daughter, asking me about the birthday cake for her son's party. Here is how she started her email:   "I would like to know how much you sould charge for a 9x13 sheet cake? The venue charges $40 if they provide it. But I'm not sure about the flavour..."   Seriously, no discussion about cake flavour, filling, design or decoration yet, she's talking about another potential vendor's pricing already. I guess she's...
I've purchased 18 cake decorating classes on Craftsy, so I think I could share a bit of my feedbacks here.   First the good things. According to Craftsy, you have access to the videos forever. You can view them anytime based on your schedule. You can watch any part again and again if you wish. Also you can ask questions, and the instructors answer by themselves.   Most of the classes are thorough, detail-oriented, and a bit slow-paced. They definitely help cure my...
I got an email for the Volume 4 Issue 9. Inside the email, there is a button for "download". As I usually do, I clicked it to get the download link for the new issue. However, it took me to the donwload link for Issue 8.  Anyone has the same problem?
Piping gel can be used as a glue and it's quite sticky and strong. Try that.   Or you can make buttercream ruffles, as melmar02 suggested. It's a lot easier and faster to do. Jessica Harris has a tutorial on her blog.
Hi all!   I've learnt so much from this thread - the comments for my cake and for others' cakes as well...  Really great!   The 2nd one from me. Please let me know what you think of this...
People are just ignorant of the cost for making a customized cake! Not to mention the hours and hours spent...   I have a close friend, by "close" I mean we see each other very often and help each other out, who is recently dating a guy. She feels their relationship is getting serious. So one day she was telling me "ah, I think this time it's serious, and I will get married soon.... will you make my wedding cake? that would be a nice gift from you!"    She was...
Just want to say I love this idea! Thank you FromScratch for starting this!   I've learned so much from the critique I received for my own cake. And reading the critique for other cakes are also good lesson for me! These advice are so valuable. They are honest, sincere, and really constructive.   A good lesson I learned is - details, details, details. Pay much attention to every detail. Make sure everything is sharp, clean, and neat. That's one of the important...
Yes you are so right!   Here is one of mine: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2884694/a/3281564/lemon-cake-with-smbc-filling-and-frosting-gum-paste-penguines-fondant-igloo-got-the-idea-from-this-site-thanks/   Constructive feedbacks are welcome!!
This is a great idea!   You guys' cakes are so perfect!  I really have no critique other than WOW!   I'm a beginner, not sure how I go with this, since my cakes are so not on the same level.:(
Thank you kaat! I just checked it out, looks a great community to join.