Posts by Danilou

To a c.c regular. ..Yes. To a newbie maybe not...lol
I have tried Hershey's, Epicurious double layer cake and liked them. But then tried the Scott Clark Woolley chocolate fudge cake it is so much better. Especially after 2-3 days it is at its best. It's not a fudge or brownie texture as some claim. Yummy!
I think you need to point out to her that you're being sarcastic! 😊
The Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake.
Tell her No! Not enough notice! This one will just put you in a bad mood!
Another thing I would consider is, if your cakes are only 2 inches high you'll get less serves. I use the Wilton chart, but then my cakes are 4 inches high. A 2 inch high cake isn't going to give a very big serve (unless it's fruit cake).
When you work out your cost and you get an idea of how long it will take (or should take) you will feel more confident charging what you do. Now when I give a quote I tell them, "This cake will cost about $...... in materials and ingredients and it should take me about ......so many hours to make. I think educating them is the key! I used to be one of those people that thought "They charged HOW MUCH for that cake!!!! What a rip off!!" Now that I know what it takes I don't...
I'm trying this today as cupcakes. Do you girls add the extra baking powder? Does it improve the cake?
I haven't made a sponge for ages so I don't have a favourite. Too bisy trying to find a perfect vanilla cake that will stay fresh more than a day.
We have a few variations of the recipe, some recipes we beat the whole eggs and caster sugar together, but again hardly any butter or flour. We often use cornfour too.