Posts by tabathaba

I really like how simple it is. I have seen so many that are just overwhelming. I think it encourages someone to contact you for more information.   Very good pictures, but your prices are a little hard to understand. You are not pricing by serving sizes, since there is a huge difference in servings between the 6" and 8" cakes but only a $10 increase in price. That would be the only question I have. You also might want to include what your base price includes,...
I actually just had a negative experience with this same request. A bride who was also a friend asked me to do a snickerdoodle cupcake recipe with cinnamon cream cheese frosting for her wedding cupcakes. She said she had tested the recipe 3 times and gotten it just perfect.   Day of the wedding I am scraping frosting off of two dozen of the cupcakes and making a new batch of frosting because it was not piping properly with the star tip that she wanted. She tested it...
I am actually looking for gumpaste cutters for flowers and any supplies (foam mats, drying boards and molds, etc). I have zero and am wanting to start working with gumpaste roses specifically. Message me if you have any of the above and I would be interested in purchasing.
Ebay definitely for any specialty stuff. I would do the yard sale first and then Ebay what's left. It's hard to get the kind of people who know what the value of your cake supplies are at a yard sale.   With ebay, I would look at what is selling and how they list the items (what categories and how they word the title) and model your listing after the ones that are already selling. You would be surprised how much of a difference it makes when your listing is worded...
I have had success with rice flour, cornstarch, and a Bob's Mill bean flour combo. I mix it myself (from sealed packages) to get a baking flour that seems to hold up ok. But the recipe I tried had egg white beaten in it and it was very much like Angel Food Cake and not what I was looking for. I haven't tried the Tapioca flour yet.     I will see if I can find the book. Thanks for your help!     I'd still love to try any recipes that anyone has already tried...
Tin. Honestly, the small one could be as small as a 4". It looks pretty small.
I know that there have to be other cake bakers in my position. I figured out a few months ago that I have a pretty severe wheat allergy. Since then I feel much better but I can't eat my own cakes!!   I also have discovered a niche market for wheat free and other allergy free cakes and desserts. (My husband has a diary allergy and I also have nut allergies so I know how frustrating it can be to have food allergies.) Some of the recipes I have tried are great, but I...
I also made my wedding cake two years ago. It is stressful. I would do a mock up cake for sure. Keep the design to something simple. Fresh flowers are great, that's what I did. Put wax paper on the top tier between the flower topper and the cake and use the flower picks.   A few tips that worked for me:   1. Bake and freeze the cake 1-2 weeks before the wedding.   2. Plan ahead well and make sure that you have the day before your wedding clear to decorate the...
I always like to send an email with the pricing in a situation like this. That way if she is shocked by the pricing, she isn't doing it in front of you. If she can't afford it she can email you back and let you know. At that point you can decide what you want to do as far as a deeper discount.     Also, it's easier to start a conversation and say, "Hey, did you get my email about the pricing for your cake order", instead of having to bring it up. I would imagine if...
You are very talented for your age. Keep up the good work!