Posts by tabathaba

Satin Ice has a wonderful black fondant that tastes great and is a breeze since you don't have to dye it.
It really depends on how someone asks me for a recipe. I have finally perfected a gluten free (and dairy free) white cake recipe and I posted a picture of my little trail cake on my facebook. One of my friends was like, "Oh, I need that recipe because my MIL is gluten free".   That bothers me. If she had just pm'd me and nicely asked I might have given it to her. But I spent a LOT of money on special ingredients and tried 4-5 different recipes that all flopped before...
I definitely recommend Satin Ice.
Thank you so much for all of the help! I've ordered some tools and I can't wait to get started practicing!
I would rather use cutters for the roses if I can, they seem to be much more efficient and I don't mind the cost since I know I will use them again.   I would like some tips on what other tools I will need. Is a ball tool helpful?
    This cake is my inspiration for my mother's 50th birthday cake in June. (The top two layers anyway...). I have never done gum paste flowers before. I am familiar with a lot of the techniques but I was wondering what cutters and tools I will need to buy for the flowers on this cake.     Will the regular rose cutter be ok or is this an extra large size?     Do I need anything (like a veiner) for texture on the flower petals?     To get the...
Yes, definitely practice the fondant on a large cake. I was amazed at how hard it was the first time I did a large round tier...
What I was describing as your "fault" was that you were complaining about people wanting designs in buttercream that do much better in fondant. I used to do this. And for some designs I still do, but only if I feel comfortable that the technique will work in buttercream. The way I look at it is that I'm the professional and unless I feel comfortable with the way a cake will turn out, (and the amount of headache and extra time spent), then I will insist on either...
Exactly, and I don't mind doing that at all. The issue I have is managing expectations when clients want a buttercream cake that looks exactly like the fondant picture they bring me.
Ok, here is my two cents for Farmers Markets.   If you are going to sell individually, make it a round dollar value ($2-$3). No one wants 50 cents jangling around in their pockets at a Farmers Market.   I personally would do samples and sell no individual cupcakes. Like very small peices of a cupcake in a mini cupcake paper (8-10 samples from one cupcake). Samples will get you SO much traffic, especially on your first few Farmer's Markets. Once you have a...