Posts by cakezilla91

Hey guys!   I'm planning on making a Paris themed cake in a couple weeks for a friend's birthday, and was looking up templates for the Eiffel tower. I noticed that some people used chocolate to pipe it instead of royal icing. Could someone tell me the different between using the two? It'd be nice to let her eat up the tower at the end, but how is it in terms of consistency/fragility, etc?   Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much for the pointers! Unfortunately I'll have to save them for a later cake, she just emailed me saying she needed the cake the week I'm going out of town I'm kinda sad. I was super excited about my first real cake order.
I'm not sure, it might be possible, but in my opinion I wouldn't risk leaving the oven on in the house unattended. If something goes wrong you don't want to come back home and find out too late  
Hey y'all!   So my boss saw a picture of my nephew's birthday cake and wanted me to do one for her nephew.   http://fancythatcake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Skateboard_cake_HR1.jpg   She sent me that link and asked if I could do something like that, and wants me to put the DC shoes logo on the side of the ramp.   Couple questions, I'm still new to decorating and RKT and everything, so how do I go about doing the ramp?   Also, how to I put the logo...
kazita, it's funny you mention that, I just pinned that very recipe before coming back to cc to browse for more. Seems like quite the recipe, can't wait to try it! Thanks 
Thanks guys! And yes hbquikcomjamesl, it's my first decorated cake  I've tinkered with cakes before but only focused on the recipe, not the design.
Hi guys!   I'm looking for a flavour to bake cupcakes for Christmas and hand them out at work before we're out for the holidays. I already decided to do a white chocolate frosting since my coworkers loved it the last time I made some, plus it's white so I can colour is blue or any other colour that would look cute with snowflakes.   What flavour would you suggest goes with white chocolate best? I've made vanilla and chocolate before but I wanted something a...
I tried using MMF a while ago when I was making a couple practice cakes, but gave up on it after realizing how much work goes into it (I work and study full time). I bought The MAT a month ago and have been using Satin Ice with it only. I did spray nonstick cooking spray but that was only the first time before using it. After that I don't condition it with anything. I just knead a little shortening and confectioners sugar into the fondant because it becomes sticky after...
You're welcome! And yes, it is pretty weird that it only happens with Satin Ice. I haven't really experimented with other fondants much, and in my experience MMF is very soft and tears pretty easy - could be something I'm doing wrong though. Have you tried MMF? If you have the same problem with denting it could be that Satin Ice is relatively softer and more vulnerable to dents compared to Wilton, which I heard is not as soft. It's most likely the fondant though, because...
If it's fine on the square cakes, then do you think that's something's not right with the round cakes themselves? Those are pretty huge dents If they're on the fondant before you even put them on the cake, is it on both sides of the fondant? If not then maybe you could try flipping the fondant over to get the dents underneath.