Posts by KarasCoutureCakes

Professionals are trained to weigh ingredients for consistency, accuracy of ratios and cost control. I never measure anything in volume, everything gets weighed in my kitchen. And it may add an extra few seconds to your production time, but the consistency of final baked product is worth it. I know my formulas won't fail due to a light or heavy hand.
I only use Satin Ice gumpaste. I would never use Wilton anything (at least not food products) as it is far inferior IMHO. But the point mentioned earlier about using dusts instead of painting is correct. If you need it to look less dusty and more painterly after dusting them, quickly steam them--it does wonderful things to colors and intensifies them. And the steam wont hurt the gumpaste if you're using a quality one.   I have to vouch for GSA (globalsugarart)... I...
The best thing to use on any sugar work if you must paint wet is grain alcohol. EverClear or rectifed spirits have next to no water in them. Even vodka has too much water content to safely use on thin gum paste. Grain alcohol has only 2-4% water content whereas vodka has anywhere between 50-80% water depending upon maker.   Ultimately you want the highest proof clear and flavorless alcohol you can legally buy. Grain alcohol is illegal in some states (not sure if...