Posts by embersmom

This :nodding:  My husband incorporated his business rather than going the LLC route because of the cost.  I remember the LLC being more expensive than the incorporation, but nothing like what the OP was quoted. However, when my husband closed his business he had to pay through the nose to dissolve the incorporation.  I don't know if he would have had to pay that much had he been a LLC.
Exactly Mimi :nodding:  Back in the before-the-buyout days we had a very talented decorator who could do practically anything,  and of course as soon as a customer got wind of her existence, the customer would place the order specifying that they wanted only her to do the cake and nobody but her.  You can imagine the problems that cropped up on her days off and/or when she was on vacation and especially when she gave her notice     The Powers That Be, IIRC, took it all...
Yep :nodding:  I understand that.  I don't normally do anything extra for a customer, but I made this particular decision with the blessing of my manager.  My guess is that he didn't want to deal with her, so he OK'd it.  If I hadn't been there, I know for a fact that there was no way she could have had it done since I'm the only one who can do that sort of thing. I should have mentioned that when I first posted about it, btw. Thank you for making that point.  The...
That's exactly what I thought when she said it.  Then I thought, it's simply convenience and price point. We have a competitor maybe a mile up the road from us, and many times we get customers who regularly patronize the competitor but either don't like their cakes and/or their restrictions are even more stringent than ours (I honestly don't know -- I've never sampled a cake of theirs).
I'd do the cake at work -- meaning it wouldn't go to the other decorator. ETA:  Some customers will ask for a specific decorator to do their cake.  We also fired a decorator some time back for actually stealing customers for her own off-the-books home business.  I wouldn't dream of doing that.
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but we get similar customers at work where they expect us to fulfill their cake fantasies for, say, $60 because after all, we're a supermarket.   And out answer is, no, we can't.  We're not allowed to draw, we can't mash up any Deco-Pac designs because of copyright issues, we don't do tiered cakes, we don't do fondant, etc., etc.  We're a corporate-owned supermarket chain and these are the rules, I'm sorry.   I had one...
Heh, we just started offering them.  We can't keep them in stock!
I was a little taken aback when I heard it, but not entirely surprised for this very reason. Don't know if anyone else has seen such, but our local BJ's has been selling Crumbs cupcakes in packages of 3 for the last couple of months, much like the way Cake Boss did with his line of cakes (they're a dud, btw, at least in my store's district -- nobody wants to spend more than $20 on a cake simply because of the brand.  They're not even very tasty, IMO).  There was an article...
Oh, tell me about it.  I had a simple cupcake order for a customer who was absolutely, positively certain she could do this 3D guitar cake for her son's graduation party.  She had the photo of what she wanted it to look like on her phone, showed it to me, and started asking me a bunch of questions.  She kept insisting that the bottom tier was ganache, and "I can do that at home!  How do I do it?" Meanwhile I'm looking closely at the photo and come to the conclusion that...
A licensed friend of mine splits her shopping between Costco, Walmart, and our local supermarket chains, depending on what's on sale.  She doesn't live anywhere near a restaurant supply store.  Plus, like costumeczar, she doesn't have enough space to buy a lot of supplies so her shopping goes more toward the "buy it when if need it" method.