Posts by Neophyte

If you don't want the gel to bleed or become sticky (as the one comment suggests), consider a tiny glass coaster or other small container to hold the gel.  Buttercream can be piped around the edges to conceal the container.
I think there were a couple of things working against me today -  1.  I'm in a new space, still adjusting to the smaller size of the kitchen.  2.  The weather took a turn for hotter and more humid today.  That's always a problem in my area but a kitchen of this size heats up so quickly.  Truth be told, my ganache was just a tad shy of the peanut butter stage.     I've watched Michelle's videos today but didn't review again today.  Thanks for reminding me of her...
I've seen several tutorials for ganaching cakes, most of which refer to the upside down method, spreading the ganache with a bakers blade evenly between two cake boards.  I tried the method for the first time tonight with fair success.  Aside from the fact I misjudged the amount of ganache needed for a small 6" cake, the only real problem was the removal of the top cake board.  Despite using a warm offset spatula to separate the board from the ganached surface,the board...
I guess this is all about supporting layers below, not so much the solution for preventing topples, right?  I've only stacked small family cakes.  I'm trying to get up my courage for the next level.
Could someone please clarify a point with the SPS system?  I see the rods pushed into each cake layer - makes sense.  Is there no center support, driven through all layers?  Or did I miss that in the video I watched?
Whew!    Good to know!  Thought I might have to invest in some uppity fridge in the future.  
Debbie, which brand fridge do you have?  You've mentioned it a few times; thought it might be helpful for others to know the specifics.  I, for one, am curious.  
I use some butter in my buttercream - only 1/3 during summer months.  High humidity and an all butter mix is buttercream suicide this time of year.  
I'm not a pro so I'm still learning and developing my skills in decorating.  When I heard about the "high ratio", I figured it was much ado about nothing.  Boy, was i wrong!  Once I found a supplier in my area (an hour away -  ), I was sold.  There's just  no comparison.  The high ratio shortening makes such a difference in terms of the texture.  For those special occasions when I'll really put effort into decorating a cake for family or friends, I won't be using store...
  Perhaps not!  Let's call it an off day - too hot to think straight.