Posts by scrumdiddlycakes

There are glitters that are actually edible, not just non toxic. I've ordered through the first link here, they were great. There are options in North America as well, a google search would find some for you. http://www.edible-glitter.co.uk/acatalog/Edible-Glitter.html
I never let mine cool, and toss in butter straight from the fridge if I'm feeling extra lazy, lol.Soupy SMBC is easy to fix, just keep beating and stick a bowl of ice under your mixing bowl, assuming the recipe/measurements were accurate. I've had meringues completely collapse on me before, and I just toss the butter in anyway, then beat the tar out of it. Comes out perfectly every time. (Usually because I do something stupid, like dumping cocoa powder into the meringue,...
I don't think it's better than a good paste by any stretch, but it is certainly better than store bought extracts. I would look into making your own paste instead, I do that, doesn't cost much more if you buy your beans in bulk, and tastes amazing.
A tiny smear of butter cream, and a cake will never slide off a waxed board. I always use waxed, but from what I have seen, the unwaxed hold up just fine without getting soggy, but they do stain and look a little worse for wear.
I have never heard of sad lines, are they like tunnels at the bottom? I bake up to 20" rounds of pound cake, I have to be careful with my temperatures or they crack on top, but I'm not sure I have seen what you are describing. A lot of people over mix pound cake, that can cause tunneling, cracking and dryness, so can the wrong amount of sugar. I'm probably misunderstanding the issue though, a picture would be great.
I add flavours to fondant with no problem, I usually use carma, (store bought). I use a food-grade essential oil, which is super concentrated. It only takes 1-2 drops per pound to get a nice light flavour. I can't imagine it would make the fondant sticky or too pliable, even if you were using a typical extract, if it does, just knead in some confectioners sugar.
If the UK is anything like North America in regards to bakery laws, it means they vary from area to area. Get in touch with your local health authorities, and they can give you the answer! I can't see how wooden floor would be a problem though, I have them in the tasting/show area of my bakery, which is only separated from the kitchen by a partition wall. They only cared about the actual cooking area being able to have a floor drain. Mine is a commercial kitchen, so the...
It depends on your recipes, there are shelf stable curd and cream cheese frosting recipes that are fine to leave out. Most decorator cream cheese frostings seem to have enough sugar in them to prevent bacteria growing. Others have a 4 hour maximum before bacteria starts to grow. Those 4 hours include every minute the frosting/filling spends outside of the fridge from the moment it is made. That is according to USA health standards at least, which are of course on the...
It is absolutely possible to be successful/etc using mixes, I make everything, right down to my bean paste from scratch, but I have had customers who don't return because they want that 'moist fluffy' texture of box cakes. That's fine, there are bakers to accommodate those customers, and I can accommodate the others.     I am a hippy-dippy eater/baker, I love it when bakers use quality ingredients and bake from scratch, but I also hate fear-mongering. The majority of...
The ny times one is amazing.