Posts by MrsNaomiC

Lol, well currently my "clients" are just me, my husband, and my daughter, and I've taken no professional classes of any kind. Not even online. I just love watching cake decorating shows, and trying new things. I like to challenge myself to attempt what all of the great bakers and decorators do. I love using good ingredients whenever I can, just like the professionals do. So thank you for your input, it's greatly appreciated.
I like using as many "natural" ingredients in my cooking and baking as much as possible. That said, I am looking for some guidance on which brands of chocolate are best for use in making ganache, candy, etc. I've used Wilton Candy Melts for doing little candies, but I can't say that I really care for the type of ingredients that are used. I would like to try my hand at making candies using quality ingredients, but I'm at a loss as to where I should start. Some input from...
@ Milkmaid ... I love chocolate too! I do want to know, though, how well does ganache do on sculpted cakes? Like I said, my husband wants me to make him a Millennium Falcon (he's a big Star Wars geek ). Also, what type of ganache do you recommend? On a Google search I came across a ganache recipe that's done 3 different ways ... if I did a whipped ganache, would I still get the smooth results under the fondant that you mentioned? One other question I had about the...
@ Milkmaid ... I really like SMB, especially the recipe I found. It's so smooth and creamy, and just plain yummy! There's a chocolate variation that my husband really loves that I was going to put on the cake since his favorite kind of cake is yellow with chocolate frosting. I like how well the fondant stays put with the SMB. I will have to try ganache sometime to see how well that compares. Thank you so much for your input.
@Milkmaid ... I've never made chocolate ganache, or even worked with it. Will the fondant stick to it like it does the SMB?
@Milkmaid ... You didn't hi-jack the thread at all! I welcome new ideas, and I've always used the marshmallow fondant recipe in the past. I've always gotten frustrated when I've tried to work with fondant, and every time I would swear never to try using it again. However, I'm stubborn and I don't like giving up on a new skill until I've at least attempted to master it. For my daughter's last birthday I made her a Draculaura cake using fondant and a different technique of...
Could you post a link to Michele Foster's fondant recipe? I love trying new recipes, and anything to do with cake decorating I want to learn. I've always used the marshmallow fondant recipe. Is Michele's fondant better tasting and easier to work with?
Could you tell me more about the silicone mat that you use? The thing that I like about what I've seen on The Mat is that it's "claim to fame" is that you don't have to use any dusting powder. and you just roll out the fondant between the two food-grade vinyl sheets. Is this how the silicone mat works? Also, which is better ... silicone or vinyl?
 Thank you for your post and the link to the article. I use a homemade fondant made from marshmallows. Does that make a difference in the use of The Mat?
So, my husband has requested that I make him a Millennium Falcon cake for his upcoming May birthday. I told him I will certainly try. I am no expert in working with fondant, and it always seems to frustrate me a bit, but I'm determined to master this thing before I move onto a new challenge. That said, I am wondering if anyone has used The Mat for rolling out their fondant? If so, what are your thoughts? Does it really make the rolling and application of fondant much...