Posts by bittersweety

i have a dumb question...i don't usually torte, but i have been wanting to start doing that since it looks so much nicer... ok heres the dumb question...say i do 4 layers of cake and 3 layers fillings/buttercream...which layers get the filling and which get the buttercream, or do they both get a thin layer of each? id think doing that would make it slippery....
i do immediate family member cakes for free.  if they are requesting an over the top design/fondant cake etc. i still won't charge, but i consider this my gift to that person in place of a normal gift.  i also let my family know that a cake like this takes time and if it affects my paying customers orders, then i will have to simplify the cake a bit to accomdate that schedule.  however, if they are ordering it for a work event or basically any event that you or other...
i was reading another post about baking temps and saw some people mention wrapping their pans with damp towels during baking... can anyone ellaborate on that for me? how do you do it? what does it change about the cakes? thanks!
nevermind! i found it!
i also meant to add, that some craft stores carry the sps plates and dowels (our local hobby lobby does) but if you can't get them in time, then go with wooden dowels. i wouldn;t risk the straws not being able to hold that much weight
definitely use sps (single plate seperator) system.  the dowels come in 4 inch lengths or you can buy the ones that are scored so you can cut them longer, but they will still all be exactly the same length.  you won;t be able to do a center dowel, but you should have to. there are tons of video tutorials to show you how to assemble it but its super easy. a cake that tall just needs to be super straight and the sps will ensure that :) good luck!
hey! ok, so this is a super long shot, but i'm looking for a photo that was posted in a thread by someone who was looking for advice on how to adhere these unevenly cut horizontal fondant strips around the tiers of a wedding cake...i think maybe she was making the cake for a friend? they weren't ruffled strips, they were just cut skinnier at one end and then thicker at the opposite end and then wrapped around, like you would for ruffles except they were just kept flat...
Hey all,   I'm working with a bride to design her wedding cake and she wants a black and white theme. Some lace and roses etc. very classy with a little modern edge.  I suggested a certain design that involves black gumpaste roses as well as some ivory. I personally love this look, and she seems pretty thrilled as well. However, i went to google black roses on wedding cake and I swear I could hardly find any! whats the deal? have any of you ever made black roses? i...
how many people do you need the cake to serve??
I want something(s) that I can comfortably hold the cake with and hover it over the tier below it and comfortably lower it onto the bottom tier and onto the sps point...totally inventing this!nevermind ...not what I wanted